PDA

View Full Version : Please help, I'm worried about my ds :( - UPDATED AT END

Punkie
04-16-2005, 06:21 PM
Mamas, I'd appreciate any advice that you can give!

My 3 year old ds is on a boycott of any foods that aren't sugary and nurtient-void. He's been sick a lot this season, probably from moving to a new area with new germs, being in Sunday School / Wednesday night classes a lot more, and the fact that his nutrition is lacking. Tonight, he's stuffy-headed and a little warm, and refused eating pretty much all day. He asked for a few foods and then turned them down once we bought them for him (unhealthy stuff like chicken nuggets). Right before bed, he asked for a pop tart, and I told him that he could have it if he ate a vitamin first, and he said he'd rather go to bed without eating :( I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I don't want him to go to bed without eating, but I don't want him to learn that if he turns down good food, he can have junk. We normally wouldn't even have them around... If nothing sweet / unhealthy is around, he will happily just fast and then binge when he gets something sweet, like fruit bars or fruit snacks, etc. I'm starting to suspect a sugar addiction(?)

My plan is to go buy some liquid vitamins and make him take them instead, because he's refusing the tablets, but I don't know what to do about the healthy food. He's asked for a fruit, and then turns it down (tonight was apples, yesterday was watermelon), but I can't ever get a veggie in. He'll eat whole wheat fruit breads (banana, pumpkin...), but that's the best thing he eats. I'm thinking about trying Juice Plus just so that he has some fruits and veggies in his system :banghead

Any advice? He's in the 20th percentile for weight and close to 90th for height. He can't have any dairy or casein products, and my poor little man had a horrible allergic reaction this weekend to pine, which we had no idea he was even allergic to. I feel like his little body is going through SO much and he won't let me help him :hissyfit

cobluegirl
04-16-2005, 06:32 PM
I personally wouldn't let him eat the junk until he eats something good...so if going to bed hungry is the plan then that is the natural consequence of not eating. But I know how hard that can be. They will eventually eat.

allisonintx
04-16-2005, 07:33 PM
Juice Plus helps my concience when my children go through picky stages.

I have been known to puree veggies and put them into fruit breads.

Punkie
04-18-2005, 07:41 PM
I just wanted to update that we got rid of the junk food and told our son that he needed to eat what we were eating, and its been a miracle! His appetite has returned and he is eating great! As an added benefit, he's been in SUCH a better mood :mrgreen

So, thanks for the suggestions, mamas!

Radosny Matka
04-18-2005, 07:45 PM
I'm so glad to here that he is eating better foods. My son went through a similar stage, so I stopped buying any processed foods (including crackers), and it made a HUGE difference.

bliss
04-18-2005, 08:43 PM
we go thru this on and off with dd - I usually won't let her eat the yuck stuff and try to bake with fruit/veggies, etc. But then dh gives her junk, so :rolleyes :td it's rough.

cobluegirl
04-19-2005, 11:35 PM
Isn't that rough...we struggle too with this. I have noticed that when the kids eat a lot of cheese and drink a lot of milk that that is all they want and they won't eat anything else. It helps to run out of things and just not have them then they are forced to eat other things. I find it so hard to get kids to eat balanced...

gamomof2
04-21-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm so glad to hear that he's coming around! :highfive