PDA

View Full Version : more wool questions

iplsmama
04-16-2005, 12:11 PM
OK my mom insists there is noooo way a wool soaker or diaper cover works. If you sit baby on your lap it must leave a wet spot on your clothes. I tell her that is not what everyone says. And there is no way you don't have to wash them everytime, they must smell. Okay, can you guys help me, my mom is one of those who thinks she is right all the time, and she challenged me to buy one so I can prove her wrong ;). Well, wool is soooo expensive so I am hesitant to make such an investment if it doesn't work. On another thread, there was a link for homemade soaker from a sweater, which intrigues me. I can sew kinda so thought I might make my own. Do the homemades work as well as like Stacinators? TIA

Micah
04-17-2005, 06:48 AM
I'm new to wool so take that with a grain of salt! LOL

If I were you I'd just make one if you can sew, you can use a heavy weight wool sweater. :)

DogwoodMama
04-17-2005, 07:08 AM
Yes, as long as it's not a synthetic sweater, but a real wool sweater. Part of what makes it work is keeping in lanolized, which helps it to function properly... so after you make it, you would probably want to lanolize it. :)

OK, if you had a baby that just totally SOAKED the fitted diaper underneath the wool cover, and the wool cover absorbed as much as it possibly could (which is a decent amount) you would then get dampness coming through the cover. I think this happened to us maybe 1 time, and it was after dd nursed ALL NIGHT and peed a ton, her wool cover then felt slightly damp. But you would definitely change your child normally before it got to that point!

Wool is an amazing natural fiber... I highly recommend it. The only reason I don't use wool covers all the time is the "bulk" factor, and also the cost. :) But I LOVE my wool covers! :tu

milkmommy
04-17-2005, 07:38 AM
I own one wool sweater (used to have two bt thats a looong sad story ...flames were involved :eek) I bought it for $16 new its green nothing "special" and I love it! its 100% leak proof unless I put in a thin diaper and sit her on my lap for like 6 hours then yes a slight compression leak will occur. Even then its not too bad. They last for ever I've had mine since DD was 4 months old at 2.5 years it still fits! No tos doesn't smell (well sure right after it gets wet) but let it air out an its fine. Wool is naturally antimicrobacterial (or something like that) I just tossed it in the wash every few weeks and lanolized it occasionally never a problem.

Deanna

RosieTook
04-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Paisley has one pair of longies so far and they rock!! Wool can absorb up to 30% of it's weight and still feel dry..and it really is wet proof. Wool that is lanolinized properly will totally repell water, like it's been waxed!!! And when it does get damp you just hang it up, the moisture evaporates off the fibres, so that is why they don't stink and you don't need to wash often!

Get some and your mom will soon be a beleiver!! :tu

iplsmama
04-18-2005, 05:44 AM
Thanks ladies. See I believe you guys and think I am going to go to Goodwill and see if I can find a wool sweater to make a soaker with. I would need to lanolize it after I make it, right? My mom has sheep so part of the problem is that in their natural state sheep get wet and when you touch them they feel wet so she just can't understand how the wool covers can work :lol :rolleyes. She's funny sometimes and I hope I get to prove her wrong!! ;)

Micah
04-18-2005, 08:22 PM
Just wanted to say YES it does work! :)
I got the shorties and longies today that I bought...no leaks here or compression wicking here...we change dipes every 2 hours just like with a cover.

I also went to Goodwill and found 2 sweaters made of 100% Lambswool so I am going to try my hand at making butt sweaters.

After making them I will do a wash in Eucalan wash then Lanolize....