PDA

View Full Version : Strep throat

CindyLou3
04-15-2005, 08:11 PM
I dropped my kids over my FIL for a few hours lately and my nephew was there. Well I really didn't think anything of it and really had no other choice and FIL made like he was gonna keep them seperated because DN wasn't feeling well. When I picked them up ds was telling me how the played together. Well today on my machine in his mother telling me dn has strep throat :banghead. I bought a vitamin with C and some ecinacea/astragalus and started it to night. I had been giving it to them threw the winter months but since I ran out a month ago and though it may be time for a break it. So is there anything else I can give, they already have a lingering cold.

cobluegirl
04-15-2005, 08:14 PM
grapefruit seed extract and acidophilus along with lots of Vit c and echinacea should work great. Also I woudl for about a week clean ears out with peroxide... www.mercola.com has info on this..says a lot of germs enter through the ears...

PurpleButterfly
04-15-2005, 10:03 PM
Remember not to give astragalus if fever is present - although rare, there is a chance of Reye's Syndrome since astragalus contains silicates similar to aspirin. Herbs are most effective when given ten days on, then at least ten days off...greater frequency can really reduce effectiveness. Keep on with the combo you have but watch for fever, and if possible grab some plain echinacea or even better, an echinacea/goldenseal (or goldenroot) combination that you can give if fever does present. Vitamin C w/bioflavanoids is the most effective and will help reduce swelling if strep does set in. We love, love, love a product by SeaBuddies called, Immune Defense Enzymatic Therapy (http://www.iherb.com/seabudimmune.html?ovchn=INK&ovcpn=SiteMatch&ovcrn=SMX&ovtac=PI) in "Sparkleberry" flavor - a tasty chewable filled with many of my favorite immune boosters - Vita C, B6, A, Elderberry, and Zinc. My ds asks for them as a treat! :)

Throat Coat and Throat Comfort teas (you can find one of them at Walmart in the pharmacy area near the vitamins and supplements, most drugstores and HFS also carry them) are excellent to have on hand and will be a lifesaver during strep, even for a non-tea drinking child, prepared lukewarm, they are naturally sweet (licorice) and amazingly effective at soothing even the nastiest of sore throats.

Avoid all sugar, including natural sugars, refined and processed foods, and greasy/fatty/fried foods - all tax the liver and weaken the immune system. You might try offering your dc a nice warm broth made from simmered fresh onions and garlic, topped w/toast stars (cut w/cookie cutter or paring knife), as an effective immune-stimulating and hydrating treatment. Adding freshly peeled (strain it out before serving) ginger root to the saute will increase healing benefits but add a small amount at a time since it's pretty strong in flavor.

A gentle chiropractic adjustment will stimulate white blood cell production and do wonders for natural immune defense. You can also use home Large Intestine 4 (helps to clear infection) and Lung 7 (helpful for throat comfort/health).

And the most challenging one of all....plenty of rest. ;)

If they do get strep, don't forget to replace toothbrushes after 3-4 days!

CindyLou3
04-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Thanks for all the helpful and advice and about the warning on astragalus. :)

peacefulveganmom
04-18-2005, 05:38 AM
I have to second the GSE suggestion. I have read studies that say it has proven effective against strep. Hope this helps! :)