PDA

View Full Version : Ezzo brochures

Kat
04-15-2005, 05:46 PM
I made about 500 hundred copies of these in bright yellow paper. Now... where do I put them? :)

I thought of placing them on car dashboards at toys r us, or babies r us, but I was afraid of setting off someones' car alarm. :eek :blush So instead, I have been going to the library and the bookstores, and placing them inside the Babywise books, and any other Ezzo publication I can find. But what about public restrooms, walmart, shopping malls, restaurants, etc??

Some have warned me that I could get in trouble with the church if I do this, or the security cameras at the stores could "catch me", and I could face consequences there as well. :/

Your thoughts? Thanks! :)

kcasmama
04-15-2005, 05:51 PM
Wow. you've got guts. I thought about putting them in Babywise books, but I chickened out. It does seem like you could get in trouble if you're caught. Nevertheless, :clap :clap :clap

ArmsOfLove
04-15-2005, 06:37 PM
I don't see how you could get in trouble with a flyer--a sticker, yes, but not a flyer :shrug

schoolofmom
04-15-2005, 07:56 PM
The only danger is that an employee will see you and remove the brochures. It's not illegal as long as you're not damaging them. I need to print up a bunch and leave them at the doc's office.

Hermana Linda
04-15-2005, 08:15 PM
The only danger is that an employee will see you and remove the brochures. It's not illegal as long as you're not damaging them.
I was always afraid that it would be called littering. :( Do we have a chicken emoticon? :blush

Maggie
04-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Yes! I really want to do that at bookstores and libraries, too! Good for you, Kat! I think it's actually illegal to put things on cars, though, isn't it?

Kat
04-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Thanks all. :)

Now.. one idea I had was to send an anonymous copy of a flyer to the city newspaper and see what happens..Imagine if the editor or someone did an article about this?? :wow

but maybe that would be going a bit too far.. :P

schoolofmom
04-16-2005, 08:39 AM
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer did an article (very negative IIRC) on it during my pregnancy with Bishop. Thank you, Jesus, because a week later two Christian friends, mommies whom I respect, wrote me to 1) congratulate me on my pregnancy and 2) suggest this great program called Prep for Parenting!

Kat
04-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Schoolofmom, with all due respect, I am a bit confused. :/ What is IIRC? Your friends said Prep for Parenting was a great class as a result of the newspapers' review of Ezzo? Thanks for clarifying. :)

schoolofmom
04-16-2005, 09:23 AM
IIRC= If I Recall Correctly

No, they both lived in different areas of the country (Colorado and Missouri). I read the article and was stunned that such things were happening in God's name--then got their e-mails the next week. God's timing saved my ds and I--I really truly think that.

Kat
04-16-2005, 11:44 AM
Oh ok, that makes better sense. I am glad that article made you think twice. :)

Soliloquy
04-16-2005, 11:45 AM
Well, if it's illegal to put it on cars, then people break the law all the time! I used to get flyers for local bands and bars all the time when I lived in the city. The ezzo.info website also has a chart comparing Babywise and The Baby Whisperer to AAP recomendations. So, I'd also put them in Baby Whisperer books.

Leaving them in the waiting room at the doctor's office is a great idea! I'm going to try that!

Kat
04-16-2005, 12:22 PM
What about also sending a flyer to the Associated Press or the local news channel?? :idea

Or do I need to get a life? :P

Seriously though.. these are listed in the yellow pages, if not in the white pages. Maybe it would be worth a shot. :)

kcasmama
04-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Or do I need to get a life? :P

You're so funny. I say, "Go with your Revolutionary Self!!"

TulipMama
04-18-2005, 12:13 PM
What about also sending a flyer to the Associated Press or the local news channel??

Go for it!

The ABC affiliates in Detroit and Charleston have done stories in the past 6 months or so. The Detroit one is still online (http://www.tulipgirl.com/mt/archives/000411.html). I'm glad that it's becoming a "news item" again and warning the next generation of mothers.

Lantern Light Mama
04-18-2005, 12:25 PM
Ummmm, I am just as bad. Want to know what I did. I posted "free Ezzo related Information" on Freecycle and put WWW.EZZO. Info and other anti-Ezzo sites, after a mother on there was searching for Babywise books. Now , all I can tell you is that so far, they havent banned me yet, but well, I am waiting. Hey ,if someone can ask for an Ezzo book, I can post information right?

What I don't understand is why people, especially new mothers continue to fallow Ezzo after it has been proven so be so unsafe. yuck. Yuck. Yuck. :shrug

Oliveshoots
04-18-2005, 12:39 PM
I noticed that our peds office has an article about the dangers of babywise posted on the back of some of the exam room doors. :tuWooohooooo!!! But they still told me to let Kaemon CIO when he was 6 mos old. :td

Kat
04-18-2005, 03:54 PM
Wow! I may just go for it! :P :mrgreen

I have talked to some people offline though about this whole mess at my church, and what I am doing in the community with the flyers. They tend to think I am bit fanatical about this, and have worried that I could even be arrested or face disciplinary measures at my church. :/ They also asked if I have asked different stores for their permission to hide these flyers. Yeah right!Like anyone is going to allow me to place controversial flyers in their stores and risk them customer complaints or worse if I ask. :rolleyes

I hide them anyway within the books, and if they don't like it, they can study them for themselves. However, if any of you all objected to anything I was doing and felt I should handle it differently, I would listen to what you have to say. :) Apparently in some towns it is illegal to place any kind of flyer anywhere.. :shrug I need to look this up and see what the laws are in Jacksonville.

jmom
04-18-2005, 06:56 PM
Why not post them in your church's bulletin board or place them in the church kiosk? Or post them at your local grocery store's community board? That i would do! :) and it's called guerilla marketing when you place flyers or business cards in books at the book store. I would do it! You would only have a couple in your hand because there are only a couple books in the store. Just go in every once in a while and place them back in the books. You can't get in trouble for that. (or the worst that would happen is that you are asked not to do it)

Julia

Kat
04-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Unfortunately, nothing can be posted at the churchs' bulletin board without their permission, and they are already researching the problems with Ezzo's teachings. Supposedly, sometime soon I will be getting news of their final decision on keeping the Ezzo materials in the library. But meanwhile, I will be putting out a lot of stuff in the community. :)

katiekind
04-19-2005, 05:01 PM
How about dropping stacks off at pediatricians' offices, the WIC office, and consignment baby clothes stores? Or mailing a stack to those places with a cover letter and the information that they have permission to reprint as needed?

Kat
04-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Good ideas! :) And forgive my ignorance, but what is the WIC office?

jmom
04-19-2005, 06:45 PM
i think WIC is the Welfare offices? People can get their food stamps there. Correct me if i'm wrong.

BeckaBlue
04-19-2005, 07:03 PM
WIC *might* be near a welfare office, but they are very different imo

wic offers 'checks' for foods for pregnant/nursing moms and babies/children up to 5yo. they give a very specific list of what you cant get, like milk, eggs, cheese, 'healthy' cereals, juice, and a few other things. wic doesnt offer food stamps

did you get the brochures from somewhere? i was at the bookstore the other day and they had all the 'wise' books, i love the idea of putting brochures in!!!

waremock
04-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Thanks all. :)

Now.. one idea I had was to send an anonymous copy of a flyer to the city newspaper and see what happens..Imagine if the editor or someone did an article about this?? :wow

but maybe that would be going a bit too far.. :P

I LOVE this idea...Where can I get a brochure..my Dh works for our local news paper and told me that he'd be willing to bring one to the Editor and writers :D

jmom
04-19-2005, 07:17 PM
WIC *might* be near a welfare office, but they are very different imo

wic offers 'checks' for foods for pregnant/nursing moms and babies/children up to 5yo. they give a very specific list of what you cant get, like milk, eggs, cheese, 'healthy' cereals, juice, and a few other things. wic doesnt offer food stamps

i knew WIC had something to do with food and money, that's why i was really unsure... But thanks for clarifying! Now I know! ;o)

katiekind
04-20-2005, 01:20 PM
The brochures are at www.ezzo.info Look in the green box at the top of the page under "Spring Spotlight". They are a PDF file that you can print on two sides of a sheet of paper and then fold into thirds to make a nice little tri-fold brochure. Permission has been given to copy and distribute as desired.

TulipMama
04-22-2005, 06:08 AM
I need to print some up to have on hand. *grin*

Thankfully, there were no Ezzo books at the used bookstore where I purchased a copy of Prep last year. But there are several copies in the libraries around the city. (Someone must have donated a whole set, because one location has everything from Babywise to Teenwise. *sigh*)

Kat
04-30-2005, 11:54 AM
Well, I have been "making my rounds" at the different bookstores here in town, specifically, Books-A-Million, B.Dalton, and Barnes and Noble, in addition to the baby aisles in the grocery stores, toy stores, etc.It has been about a month, I think, since I started placing them around town. I have been looking to see if any of the flyers have been taken, or left in the books. Most of the stores I go to still have them in the books, except for Barne's and Noble, which usually have a whole slew of Ezzo books. :( (They probably had at least fifteen Ezzo books there today, and I placed flyers in every one of them.) I might start placing flyers in parenting magazines as well, as I think they probably sell quicker than books do.

In addition,I have not yet gotten to sending the flyers to the newspaper or the news channel, but I am trying to decide on whether to do this anonymously or send in a cover letter explaining my intent. (I admit I am a bit chicken! :blush )But if I do, I'll probably write up a draft letter here first to make sure it looks respectable.

So anyway.. that is what is going on with this.. :)

TulipMama
04-30-2005, 05:27 PM
In addition,I have not yet gotten to sending the flyers to the newspaper or the news channel, but I am trying to decide on whether to do this anonymously or send in a cover letter explaining my intent. (I admit I am a bit chicken! embarassed ) But if I do, I'll probably write up a draft letter here first to make sure it looks respectable.

I'm all for the cover letter. And you have a great angle--after all, you ARE a nanny after all!

We'll be happy to proofread your letter.

Katherine
05-02-2005, 12:38 PM
Kat,

I think sending them to networks, news programs (especially the investigative reporting brand) and newspapers is a great idea!

Any parenting topic is an attention-getting story, and we might as well make good use of our free press! :)

I actually saw the tail-end of a commercial on one of the major networks.. (NBC maybe? Is that Peter Jennings) where one of the major news programs is starting a series about how religion is involved in different aspects of our lives... "discipline" being one of them. I plan to track down the listing and try to watch the parenting segment. I think the series starts tonight!

Maggirayne
06-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Okay, I know this is waaay old, but I just went to the library and found Babywise on the new books shelf and brought it home because I want to do something. I am excited to learn about these brochures. I've never noticed the brochure on Ezzo.info.combefore!

Hermana Linda
06-18-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm so glad you found it. :tu

jenny_islander
06-19-2009, 10:52 AM
If anybody else decides to do this, please keep in mind that many public libraries have somebody make the rounds of the controversial books and pull out whatever has been stuffed into them. IIRC this is usually sex, religion, Nazi history, and Harry Potter or whatever the controversial children's series du jour happens to be, but they might check the childrearing section as well. If your time is limited, I would do the "guerilla marketing" at the bookstore instead.

Personally I buy every beat-your-children book I see at garage sales and drop them in the Dumpster on the way home. I have also convinced the Catholic thrift store to quit carrying Ezzo. :rockon (Although I think it was the word "heresy" that did it. :shifty )

Maggirayne
06-19-2009, 09:19 PM
I think I read your thread, or someone's about talking to the nuns running the thriftstore.

I do want to first try talking to the director and let her know the AAP has warnings on it.

Where can I find that officially? I do want to have that in hand when I talk to her.

Yeah, it's weird, I'm not into book-censoring, but I detest Ezzo's, teaching isn't the right word, propaganda? Indoctrination? :shrug3

I found it--love ezzo.info!
http://aapnews.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/14/4/21

Soliloquy
06-20-2009, 05:21 AM
I don't know of I posted it in this thread or another, but I take a pencil and write www.ezzo.info several places in the book. :shifty

Soliloquy
06-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Babies r Us sells Ezzo books! :sick2 I think we should try to get them to stop. Any idea how to get started? Susan Lawrence got Barnes and Noble to stop selling Tripp and Pearl books. :tu

Kat
06-20-2009, 06:02 AM
Babies r Us sells Ezzo books! :sick2 I think we should try to get them to stop. Any idea how to get started? Susan Lawrence got Barnes and Noble to stop selling Tripp and Pearl books. :tu

I've tried. I showed them the brochure and everything. Didn't work. :sadno Maybe someone else has any ideas?

Eta: Maybe it would help if someone wrote a professional letter of complaint to the Babies 'r Us headquarters, or if someone started an online petition? :think

Here is their link:

http://www.hoovers.com/Babies-R-Us/--ID__110280,target__business_directory--/free-co-samples-index.xhtml?cm_ven=PAID&cm_cat=YHS&cm_pla=LSP&cm_ite=babies_r_us_headquarters

Kat
06-20-2009, 06:21 AM
I have to admit, I'd forgotten about this thread. I think I'd chickened out or got caught up with other stuff and was too embarrassed to admit it. :blush However, now that my schedule is changing, and Ezzo is officially out of the church library, maybe I can refocus my attention on this.

blubutin
07-08-2009, 01:22 PM
In the bookstores. Right in front of BW books.

mrsd
07-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Leave them at the pediatricians office...it will give people something to read besides outdated magazines.

zak
07-24-2009, 05:45 PM
:ot

Wow, this thread is wayyy old. :giggle I saw schoolofmom's posts on the first page before I noticed the date and was SO excited to see her posting. :doh :lol

jewelmcjem
07-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Well, if it's illegal to put it on cars, then people break the law all the time!

It's city-by-city. In our town, you have to have permission from the establishment whose parking lot you're papering. Personally, those kind of flyers annoy me (stuck on my car in a parking lot). I toss them w/o reading them.