PDA

View Full Version : planting a garden

Joesmomma
04-15-2005, 02:01 PM
ok, we have a spot picked in our yard, gets good sunlight etc. We will be borrowing a rotatiller from a neighbor. I bought corn, zucchini, tomatoes, beans, beets, cucumbersl ettuce carrots, and basil. What should I start indoors? I knwow the tomatoes for sure. We have a side area I wanted to plant the corn as I love corn and want to freeze adn dry lots. I also plan to start some strawberrires. How do I arrange a garden, do somethings go better on the outside? We have lived in a short gorwing season area for 8 years and never once had vine ripened tomato and am excited about getting some. I think the season is about a month longer here.
Therese

Lady TS
04-16-2005, 05:41 AM
What zone are you in? I can completely identify with your tomato experience as I am a native-born Coloradoan. :mrgreen The only time we got vine-ripe tomatoes was the year we used wall-o-waters and a short-season tomato(Sub-Arctic something) and we ended up with eighty-something tomatoes that year!

We are now in OH and I can't believe how easy it is to grow things!

To answer your question, the only things on your list I would start indoors would be the tomatoes and the basil. I have had the best luck with those little Jiffy cells that swell up when you add water and then you plant the seeds. They have the kits at Walmart for pretty cheap.

The basil I would plant in a pot. At least a plant or two anyway. It freezes and kills over very easily and that way you can bring it in and have it awhile longer. :) If you had a sunny place inside, you could do that with tomatoes too. They will live a looooong time. The frost just kills them and we give up on them in the winter. Unfortunately, we don't have a place for them in our house.

The lettuce and carrots you can plant earlier than the other things outside.

Joesmomma
04-16-2005, 10:46 AM
Thanks, I bougth thost things from walmart and my son and I started seeds in them today. I was overearnest and did both types of tomatoes, beets, basil, cucumbers. We live in Montana. So our seasons are short, very short, adn I should have started the tomoatoes earlier. I thought of putting the cherry tomatoes out in our front yard and let them have the house for support. I am going to look into strawberries also. It is hard when you are pg and haven't done much for exercise. I am trying to get rid of the wood chips that have black plastic under them so I can plant. That was really hard work . Anyway thanks therese