PDA

View Full Version : How to get hard water stains(iron-rust) off of my shower?

Lady TS
04-14-2005, 06:21 PM
OK, I admit it. I've been verrrry lazy about cleaning the shower. Plus, our water softener died in the January ice storm and thus our water has badly stained the whole shower an ugly brownish-red... We have a new softener now and so I want to get it clean and start over...

Any ideas as to what to use to get this stuff off?
I have used LimeAway, which works great but I am pg and cannot stand the smell of that stuff!
Vinegar--hardly even touches it
Comet/Barkeeper's friend--takes a LOT of elbow grease and I can't get the whole shower done in a day, which I would like to do

Any other ideas? The shower is made of that plastic-y stuff, not tile.

Soliloquy
04-14-2005, 07:45 PM
I was going to recommend CLR but if Lime-Away makes you sick this probably would too. Would DH do it for you? I don't think PG women should be cleaning bathrooms anyway because of the fumes . . .

Lady TS
04-15-2005, 05:42 AM
I was going to recommend CLR but if Lime-Away makes you sick this probably would too. Would DH do it for you? I don't think PG women should be cleaning bathrooms anyway because of the fumes . . .

I'd forgotten about CLR! Do you know whether it comes in a spray bottle?
I have asked DH if he would do it but I'm not holding my breath. He has a lot of other stuff on his mind to do and I'm afraid the shower is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay down at the bottom of his list.

I've been using the excuse that I'm pg to not clean that shower, but now I am so sick of it I don't want to take a shower in there! I haven't let the toilets go, which is good. I can squirt toilet cleaner in there, swish it around, leave for a bit and run in later and flush. Open windows are good, too, now that it's getting warmer.

2sunshines
04-15-2005, 05:44 AM
We used to live in a house with very hard water.

The only things that I found to clean those awful shower stains were very harsh (and extremely stinky) chemicals.

I would definitely not do it while pregnant. Those chemicals are SO STRONG!!!

If you find something else that works, please let me know too!

Iarwain
04-15-2005, 07:41 AM
[I'd forgotten about CLR! Do you know whether it comes in a spray bottle?

I think it just comes in the regular pour bottle. I wish I had a "green" cleaner suggestion to offer you, but I don't. Sometimes chemicals are the thing that works best. :/ CLR really does the job well and fast.