PDA

View Full Version : Did I do okay?

Radosny Matka
04-14-2005, 02:21 PM
Nathaniel usually has a meltdown when he wakes up. I have no idea why. Maybe he just needs a chance to calm down? I have decided that I am no longer going to get him out of bed when he is :hissyfit. I just plain refuse. So today I tried a new approach. I went in and told him "It's time to get up, you have a choice. Do you want to be carried downstair or walk?" This was met with trashing and kicking, and plenty of "no's" I tried repeating the statement again. He immediately said "no" and hit me. I got up and left the room (to gain composure). A couple mintues later I came back in and said, "when you are ready to get up, call for me." He said, "I'm ready to get up." He stopped crying and got up. From now on, if I go into his room and he is :hissyfit, I think I will just say to him, "It looks like you need a few minutes to yourself to wake up. Call me when you have calmed down and are ready to get up." Then I will just wait out of sight but near his door until he calms down. Does that sound okay? What should I do if he starts :hissyfit when we get downstairs after he originally calmed down. He is such a crank-pot after naps (always has been). He can be cranky, but I'm tired of being the target of his crankiness (yelling at us, saying no to everything). Ideas?

milkmommy
04-14-2005, 02:28 PM
IS he really ready to be up?

Deanna

mom2_AthruZ
04-14-2005, 02:38 PM
It sounds like what you did was fine. You gave him time to have his big emotions, he did and when he was ready he was able to join you. I have a 9yo that has always woken up grumpy which cane be sooo :banghead at times. Crystal suggested reading the book "I Love You Rituals" by Becky Bailey. It has a ritual for waking up and going to sleep that I have been using with both of my girls. It is called "goodnight elbow" which of course is altered to "goodmorning elbow". I say goodmorning to her elbows, hansd, fingers etc while giving them a little massage. They both love it and it has done wonders for the 9yo and her mood. The book has been a great source of help.

As for what to do if he has a meltdown when you get downstairs maybe you could head to the comfort corner and read a book. I am still learning so I know others here will be more helpful.

:hug to you maa you are doing a great job! :tu

joystrength
04-14-2005, 03:01 PM
great idea with the "get up" massage! I'll have to try it. :D

ArmsOfLove
04-14-2005, 07:36 PM
I think you did great :clap Honestly, at that age I'd let him know he can come get me when he's awake and ready to be around people and take myself out of the after-nap scene.

Radosny Matka
04-14-2005, 07:43 PM
I think you did great :clap Honestly, at that age I'd let him know he can come get me when he's awake and ready to be around people and take myself out of the after-nap scene.

I've tried. He won't. :shrug

ArmsOfLove
04-14-2005, 07:46 PM
what do you mean he won't ???

Radosny Matka
04-15-2005, 05:24 AM
what do you mean he won't ???

He calls (or cries) for me to go get him. I've told him that it's okay to get out of bed and find me when he wakes up, but he won't.

milkmommy
04-15-2005, 07:13 AM
I'm not sure how your snging voice is or how you feel about transitional songs bu I find they are great for those grumpy wakes. :) Here's is one of my favourites for the grumpy wake.. I change the words a bit to fit my DD better. http://www.songsforteaching.com/fredkoch/greatday.htm

Deanna

Kaz
04-15-2005, 07:43 AM
I can remember being really grumpy sometimes when I woke up for a lot of my childhood. I just needed time to come back to earth and wake up gently and it felt like everyone was talking too loud etc. Maybe he's quite sensitive like I was/am ? I think you're doing great, I wish I'd been allowed to wake up gently in my own time, but no, my Dad enjoyed yelling and yanking the covers off..letting me know who was boss. Might sound funny, but at the time it was not and only made me grumpier!

ArmsOfLove
04-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Ahhhhh, I see. Then when he calls you (and my 3yo does this for me) try going to him in different ways until you find the one that works best with him. With my little guy I need to ask him before I advance and feel him out for what he needs: May I hug you? Would you like a back rub? Do you need a cuddle? What can I do to help you? And when he says "I Can't" that means he can't do it himself.