PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Sucessfully ?

mom2_AthruZ
04-14-2005, 02:19 PM
:nak

We were at the park today and when it was time to leave I told the girls and let them know that when I got to a certain point in my walk to the van I would say "I'm here" and that was their signal to head to the van as well. This distance allowed a few more times down the slide well within my view. I got to the spot, called out and the 6yo promptly had a melt down. :hissyfit I put the baby in her seat, the 9yo got in and the 6yo stood defiantly outside the van. I let her know I would count to 5 to give her time to get in and if she didn't I would come help her. 5 came and went. I got out went around the van and found her running away from me. :eek. I reflected feelings, told her we had to leave and then tried to pick her up but she fought so hard that I quit and walked back to the van and got in and started it. She finally got in but was clearly still upset.

So, she didn't leave sucessfuly so what is the consequence of this? I was planning a trip to the park again tomorrow but now I wonder if I shouldn't. This of course isn't fair to my oldest so I am curious how this should be handled. I didn't talk about leaving before we got there and in hindsight maybe I should have. :shrug What suggestions do you have? :)

ArmsOfLove
04-14-2005, 07:41 PM
I am confused--it sounds like you did talk about leaving--unless you didn't remind them :shrug If you clearly have stated the rule to them that leaving successfully is part of coming again next time then I'd stay home tomorrow. It's not fair to everyone, but it's not your job to make things fair. I'd talk to her about how unsafe it is for her to run off like that and have some practice drills. If you aren't sure if she understands the new policy then I'd intentionally go to the park tomorrow and talk a lot about things on your way and before she gets out of the car and make it clear--and be really proud if she's successful :)

mom2_AthruZ
04-15-2005, 05:54 AM
I am confused--it sounds like you did talk about leaving--unless you didn't remind them :shrug

I didn't talk about leaving before we arrived at the park. I only set up the leaving system right before we left. So, I can see where I didn't really set her up for success. I think we will go again today with much prep talk etc. and see how it goes. My biggest problem is because she is so spirited when she doesn't do things successfuly then it just seems like my oldest gets the short end of the stick. Thanks and sorry for the confusion. :)

ArmsOfLove
04-15-2005, 12:16 PM
that's okay==thanks for clarifying :) And if you work to set her up for success then everyone wins! We have the motto "we are a team and if one of us loses we all lose and if one of us wiwns we all win" :tu This allows for positive peer pressure to work for us :)

Micah
04-15-2005, 06:10 PM
How did it go?

mom2_AthruZ
04-16-2005, 04:33 AM
How did it go?

We didn't make it yesterday. So when we do go I will be sure to post an update. Thanks for asking. :)

mom2_AthruZ
04-22-2005, 11:22 AM
We went to the park yesterday and we talked about leaving successfuly BEFORE we went and she succeeded!!! :clap :) I was sooo happy for her.I just wanted to post an update since I said I would. :)

ArmsOfLove
04-22-2005, 11:45 AM
:woohoo

Mrs_Hos
04-23-2005, 09:57 PM
:)
Glad to hear it worked!
Now...if it would only work every time right!?!
:)

Micah
04-24-2005, 09:00 AM
Yay!!! :)