PDA

View Full Version : Recycled butt sweaters?

Micah
04-14-2005, 12:33 PM
Does anyone has easy to follow instructions for making butt sweaters from recycled wool sweaters?

TIA! :D

expatmom
04-14-2005, 01:15 PM
What is a butt sweater? There must be a perfectly reasonable answer, but the kid in me is :lol :lol

Micah
04-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Butt sweater is a soaker cover made from a wool sweater..they are SO cute!

Micah
04-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Found instructions!! :)

Lady TS
04-15-2005, 07:43 PM
I know you already found some instructions, but here are the ones I have used: http://diaperfabric.wahmart.com/store/WsAncillary.asp?ID=3

Micah
04-16-2005, 11:09 AM
Those were even easier, thanks! :)

ernamosher
04-19-2005, 08:15 PM
I have been thinking about trying these over my cloth diapers. How do they seem to work? DH is afraid that baby will get too hot with one. Is that a possibility?

Micah
04-20-2005, 06:41 AM
No actually they are cooler than a regular 'cover' because they are BREATHABLE! :) Plus you don't put any pants on them as well like you do with a cover most times.

What size clothes does your babe wear?
Is babe a boy or girl?
If you can't sew I'd make you one.
I'd sent it all washed and lanolized and ready to wear.

Moon
04-27-2005, 10:29 PM
I've made Moose a few pair of recycled sweater shorts instead of the butt sweaters. I prefer the look for summertime.I really ought to take pics of the steps next time. I can take a pic of how they finished shorts look tomorrow. I don't have a serger to finish the seams, I do zigzag next to every seam at least twice.

How I made 'em...
-I use just the front off the sweater (use the back for another pair of shorts, and the sleeves for longies)
-turn it over so the sweater waist is at the top and becomes the short's waist
-by either wrapping it around ds or comparing it to shorts I know fit well I determine how wide I need it, add a seam allowance to that and cut exess off the sides if needed, I have the seam on the middle back of the shorts
-again by comparing it to ds or existing shorts I determine how big a rise I need, and stitch a small spot right in the crotch area with the shorts inside out (I tried just pinning til I was ready to sew the inseam but it's a pain with a sweater)
-then decide how long I want the inseam and cut across the pantlegs in that spot
-in the middle, through both layers (yes up the seam) cut from the bottom up to the spot I stitched
-sew the inseam shut
-hem the pantlegs

joyfulmomof2
06-03-2005, 07:22 PM
wow so cute!!! :)

Heather Micaela
06-03-2005, 10:11 PM
OT but:
Moon! :laughtears
I am NOT talking to myself! I'm having a parent-teacher conference. Now be quiet before I miss something important.

Dont you have on on another board about childproofing the house but they still get in?

Do you make these up? They're great