PDA

View Full Version : Do you go to homeschool conventions?

lenswyf
04-14-2005, 06:59 AM
Why or why not?

BluegrassMama
04-14-2005, 07:06 AM
No! I have mild Asperger's, and a convention of any kind would have me short-circuiting in about 10 minutes! Noise, crowds, no windows....ugh.

Also I don't agree with rules about children not attending. My children go everywhere with me, and I don't like to be told they can't come to something that is for them! I'd rather they have rules about behavior if they must. And then there's the cost...for the amount that I spent to go to the convention, I could buy an awful lot of materials.

Also I like to decide slowly when it comes to spending money. I like shopping online.

Sometimes I wish I could hear the speakers, but then again my philosophy is not mainstream homeschool, so I'm not likely to hear what I want to hear anyway :P

CelticJourney
04-14-2005, 07:07 AM
Yes and No. I like to go and look at the curriculum or pick up something I know I already want to save shipping, but usually the topics and discussions in the sessions are far too broad to be of much help day-to-day. I am firm in my decision to hs, so I dont' think I need encouragement in that regard. I probably will start going to some that have discussions about jr/high school in the next couple of years.

lumpofclay
04-14-2005, 08:10 AM
Do you mean curriculum fairs as well? If so, I attended one two years ago and head Chris Davis (from Elijah Co) speak. Wow! It was really good for me. Although I didn't grasp all of what he was saying, but had to make my own mistakes to realize he was right :blush, I did learn a lot! He introduced me to things like following your child's interest, not using grades (i.e. 1st, 2nd, etc.) I also sat in on a presentation from Sue Becker of the Bread Beckers and learned a ton. That's when I started grinding my own wheat, etc. for breads. I got to sit in on another seminar (her first name escapes me, but her last is Rushing) on notebooking. I didn't go last year or this year, though, because the topics weren't of interest. :( I would have enjoyed more seminars.

For me, the children (except the nursing babe) not being able to attend wasn't an issue. DH went and watched the girls while I did the seminars. Then, he attended the one geared towards dads (by Chris Davis), and the girls shopped with me. Children were allowed in, though, I think.

Also, getting to look at the curriculum is so nice! I wish I could do that whenever I wanted!

Sara
04-14-2005, 09:32 AM
We don't because there aren't usually any close to where we live (closest would probably be 4 hours away). If we did go, it would have to be a child-friendly thing. I wouldn't take off for a weekend (or even an entire day) and leave my little ones or anything like that at this point.

Teribear
04-14-2005, 09:40 AM
Lisa (Tambourine Dancer) and I have our annual GCM slumber party at our curriculum fair/conference each year. LOL! Last year we stayed up until 3 am watching Dr. Who DVD's...we're going to avoid the Mt. Dew at midnight this year. ;)

I've been going every year. Sometimes I don't get much out of the seminars, sometimes I do. Depends on who is speaking. I LOVED hearing Charlene Notgrass speak last year and Dr. Dana Spears on "Dreamer" children. The year before that the only seminar that impressed me was the Math-U-See presentation. Our keynote speaker this year is the lady that created the Konos curriculum. Might be interesting.

Lisa and I spend WAY TOO MUCH time and money at the Rainbow Resources table. We both 'have our curriculum' already for next year but I'd be willing to bet we'll find something we just "have to have"...seems like we always do.

I look forward to it every year. Its cool to see that many homeschooling families in one place if nothing else.

gracefuljourney
04-14-2005, 09:46 AM
I don't anymore. The workshops don't interest me much . . . I have heard it all. The curriculum fair just frustrates me . . . all these vendors trying to convince me that I NEED their product. I just have been frustrated the last few times I have gone.

The exceptions are . . . I went to an unschooling convention a few years ago that was fun. There was lots of activities for the children. I loved that!

Also, just a very few speakers will interest me. I have heard Mark Hamby speak several times. He is the one the God used to set me on the path of grace based parenting. I would attend his workshops anytime.

Piper2
04-14-2005, 10:38 AM
Yeah, what Terri said. ;)

Last year, our convention didn't even have a keynote speaker, so we didn't even go to the couple of "main sessions" they had. We just went to a few of the workshops and spent the rest of the time at the exhibits. I usually pretty much camp out at Rainbow Resource, but this year since I already have my curriculum, I'll have a list of books and other things I'll be needed to actually shop for at some other vendors (but I'll still probably be at Rainbow most of the time ;)).

I just contacted the conference director yesterday to have her mail me a brochure, so maybe then I'll be able to decide what workshops (if any) I'll be going to. I could easily spend both days in the exhibits, though. :mrgreen

In a way I wish I could bring Kevin, but I also know that even if he were allowed there, I probably wouldn't bring him simply because he's so spirited. He's 180 degrees different from the children of the Pearls' exhibitors we see walking around in single file every year. :eek I think the big convention in Atlanta has kid's activities that sound really interesting, and I'd probably try to take advantage of them if I lived there.

And I like having "girls night out" with Terri. But yes, no Mt. Dew at midnight this year...not even diet! :lol

Booklover
04-14-2005, 03:35 PM
If there's a speaker or talk I really want to hear. The two around here are long drives, and I have to make arrangement for the kids since dh works every Saturday. I've only been once.

Leslie
04-14-2005, 03:49 PM
I don't anymore. The workshops don't interest me much . . . I have heard it all. The curriculum fair just frustrates me . . . all these vendors trying to convince me that I NEED their product. I just have been frustrated the last few times I have gone.

Same here, all the stuff at curriculum fairs stresses me. I go in thinking, "I have a plan, I already know which curriculum I'm using, I only want to look at X book" but then there's just an overwhelming amount of tables and books and resources--and by the time I leave, I feel discouraged because of all the things I'm not doing and subjects I'm not teaching.

The first convention I went to was really helpful. I had a three-year-old and was still researching homeschooling, and I learned so much! But now I can find a lot of help online without having to leave home. I would say that I never go to conventions anymore, but . . . well, I'm making an exception and going to one at the end of July. :)

allisonintx
04-14-2005, 05:38 PM
there is one in a neighboring suburb every year. i'm going this May in order to take several classes that intrest me. I probably will not be a regular fair attender, as I live in an area where homeschooling is VERY common (ie: everyone has at least one friend who homeschools) and support is plentiful. If I had no support, I'd be going in a heartbeat to see some friendly faces.

Anyone going to the book fair in Arlington, TX in May let me know and we'll arange a GCM meet-up.

SandKsmama
04-14-2005, 08:00 PM
I never have before, but I'm going to one in May. I've been a "homeschooler wannbe" for a long time, but next year will be my first "official" year homeschooling my now 3rd grader. I want a hands on look at the curriculum I'm deciding on, as well as hoping to hear some good wisdom from those who have "been there and done that"! I'm also hoping my husband will go and get a good dad's perspective on hsing.

Amanda

grandmama
04-18-2005, 03:27 PM
I just spent the weekend at our homeschooling convention and have some thoughts...

Jeff Meyers and Kent Hovind were the keynotes and were awesome, especially Meyers. He talked about gracious attitudes and behaviors toward our children and others. It was great.

I didn't actually attend any workshops as I was manning the Treasures of a Mother's Heart...A Day of Encouragement for Homeschooling Mothers booth. We gave away free cd's fro last year's retreat, notepads, 2 retreat registrations, and LOTS of chocolate. :hkiss :hkiss :hkiss :hkiss :hkiss :hkiss :hkiss :hkiss :hkiss :hkiss :hkiss :hkiss We didn't sell anything and we provided a spot for weary moms to rest and fellowship. It was delightful.

I can remember when there was no such thing as a curriculum fair, actually when there was no such thing as homeschooling curriculum. We had our choice between BJU press, Abeka, and those ACE workbooks. That was it. I don't really shop much now, as I know where I like to order...Rainbow Resource and Christian LIberty Academy mostly. But I did pick up several great art books this time.

Sandy
04-19-2005, 08:00 AM
I go but it's held here in Indy so it's not a huge expense for me. If I had to pop for a hotel room, then I probably couldn't do it.

I enjoy the workshops. I always leaving feeling better about what we're doing--even if we're having a tough time getting the work done (which happens a lot around here!). Convention is my annual motivation "shot."

I also like seeing all the materials--being able to put my hands on things and look through them. I spend at least half my time in the exhibit hall checking stuff out! This year the big find was "Great Science Adventures." If you haven't seen it, you need to check it out. It's a great hands-on science for elementary and each subject has a project (an actual do-able project).

So, yes...I'm a convention goer.