PDA

View Full Version : "Train Up Your Children in the Way They Should Eat"? UPDATED WITH A REVIEW :)

Punkie
04-13-2005, 06:53 PM
My MIL gave me this book, and I was wondering if anyone has read it and whether or not its worth my time :P She gives me an odd variety of hippie, natural parenting books, but also has given me books about using "switches" and "rods" for punishment, so I never know what I'm going to get from her :shrug

cobluegirl
04-14-2005, 09:57 AM
I have never heard of it. maybe just skim it and see what it has to offer.

wuzzie
04-14-2005, 04:36 PM
Sounds a bit like the Pearls! Who's the author?

PurpleButterfly
04-14-2005, 04:48 PM
I'm always a bit leery when I see that verse...sounds like you have the same radar. ;)

One book that really helped me when Nemo was in the super picky stages was Ellyn Satter's "Child of Mine: Feeding with love and good sense", but I have to say the bf section wasn't worth a pile of beans. :td The rest of the book is so awesome and totally AP-minded, tho! It is totally worth checking out from the library! :)

Punkie
04-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Its this book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0884196631

I skimmed it and started reading, and it seems to be the usual no white foods, lots of whole foods, etc, etc, stuff that we already do :P The verse made me uneasy too...

Punkie
04-23-2005, 06:32 PM
Well, I read the book, and its a very quick read.

I'd say that I agreed with about 90% of it, and it has enough interesting stuff in it that I'm glad that I read it. Like I said above, it really encourages you to eat whole foods and none of the evil whites. She's just a little crazy about goat's milk (even though she's very anti-cow's milk), and even though she's super pro-breastfeeding, she also talks about how its OK to supplement with her own goat's milk fomula recipe that's in the book, and I am more of a "pristine gut" kind of girl....

On better a note:
She also recommends that kids are vegetarians until at least 7 and she VERY strongly believes in a diet based on the Biblical guidelines, so no pork, shellfish, etc. Like I said, it was overall a good book, and not punitive. She talks about encouraging your kids to eat healthy by being positive and providing a good example - no forced feedings or anything. She talks quite a bit about how having a good attitude can make your whole family happier and healthier.

lmgeenw
04-26-2005, 02:48 PM
I'm always a bit leery when I see that verse...sounds like you have the same radar. ;)

One book that really helped me when Nemo was in the super picky stages was Ellyn Satter's "Child of Mine: Feeding with love and good sense", but I have to say the bf section wasn't worth a pile of beans. :td The rest of the book is so awesome and totally AP-minded, tho! It is totally worth checking out from the library! :)

I second this book. I thought it was great too, but definitely skip over any of the breastfeeding info!