PDA

View Full Version : First organic fruit & vegetable box!

jujubnme
04-13-2005, 03:28 PM
I just signed up for an organic fruit/vegetable box delivery service, and we got our first box today! I'm so excited! :jump

This week's box included sweet potatoes (2), sweet onions (3), kale (1), romaine lettuce (1), vine-ripe tomatoes (3), carrots (1 bag), zucchini (2), grapefruit (1), kiwi (4), red bartlett pears (2), pink lady apples and bananas (4). So does this inspire any recipe ideas for you? If you were me, what would you be eating?

I'm thinking of making a sweet potato and kale risotto recipe I have, and maybe fish (swordfish or salmon) with kiwi-mango salsa (gotta buy a mango and cilantro for that though), some kind of carrot/zucchini side, tossed salad.... (not all in one day, of course). Any other inspirations?

AmyDoll
04-14-2005, 09:16 PM
:poke

Andrea?! Is this a CSA or what?? Nearby inquiring minds want to know!!!

XOXO Amy

jujubnme
04-15-2005, 08:31 AM
I'm getting them from Washington Green Grocer (http://www.washingtonsgreengrocer.com/index.html). They deliver produce boxes to the metro-DC area---not sure how far out, but it doesn't hurt to ask. You can get a small or large box and regular or organic (we get small/organic). There is no contract; it's just pay as you go. They e-mail the list of what will be in the box on Monday and you can ask for substitutions or ask for extra stuff (herbs, dairy, etc.) or tell them you don't want a box this week. They deliver to VA on Wednesday. I used them a while back and really liked it, but I went through a season in our lives when I wasn't keeping up with using all the produce, so I stopped ordering it. I'm excited to start up again. It's kind of fun to plan our meals around "what we got this week"----and a way to try some veggies that I wouldn't normally buy at the grocery.

Soliloquy
04-23-2005, 08:32 PM
That sounds so cool. I'm going to try to find one in the Nashville area. Is it generally less expensive than buying at a natural foods store?

jujubnme
04-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Price-wise it's probably comparable to the natural food store. I decided to do it again, because it's a good incentive for me to just have good seasonal produce on hand for our meals. It's also consistently pretty good quality produce.