PDA

View Full Version : slinging the cat

Iarwain
04-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Hmmm... Does this go in Animal Companions or Baby Wearing?

Our housekitty, Otis, had to go to the vet Monday. He wasn't putting weight on one of his front paws and he got x-rays and all that. Turned out to be an abcess possibly from a bite wound. He was probably tussling with one of the feral cats around here. (I hate him going out because of that, but it's nearly impossible to keep him in.)

Sooo... We had to go in that day while dh was at work. Tell me, how do you get five children (including a 3.5 yo and a 14 mo) and a cat into the van, to the office, out of the van, across the parking lot, and inside without a cat carrier and without losing any of them? Not to mention repeating the whole process after you're done. You sling the cat! I popped him in an unpadded adjustable ring sling and cinched up the sides so he was in snugly and couldn't really get out one his own. Noodle went on my hip in another sling and I had my hands free to hang onto Lemur. Not as exotic as cross-species nursing, but cross-species double slinging has to count for something, right?

We managed our vet visit quite well although the unconventional carrying method did draw a few giggles. I had to wash both of the slings because they were FULL of cat hair. One sling is black velvet and the cat is white and... Well you get the picture. Oh well. I was really glad it worked so well. And he's feeling a bit better today.

poetmom
04-13-2005, 02:03 PM
I would have LOVED to have seen that...talk about creative problem solving!! :roll

waremock
04-13-2005, 02:06 PM
I use to sell kitty/pouch slings a few years ago..I had alot more time on my hands 2 kids ago...anyway, people would email me there measurements as sling mamas do and there size/type of pet they were planning on slinging :smile I sold mostly to NY..I think I made/sold around 12 or so...Great Idea :)

boonpnutsmom
04-13-2005, 02:07 PM
That is an awesome solution, I thought before I read it, that you were going to ask if a cat could be slung, and I was going to say I would be willing to try for you, but you beat me to it. I will have to try for Noel's next appt in a few weeks, she is going to get fixed.

amstermarie
04-13-2005, 02:38 PM
:) how funny, glad you had luck with that. wish you had a pix to share,

cannuke
04-13-2005, 02:44 PM
I was wondering if I could sling my pet rabbit. He certainly likes to be held close and might like it! :lol

Mother Duck
04-14-2005, 01:22 AM
I've got a pic somewere of my daughter with our cat in the sling :)

Iarwain -- what a creative solution! Did you get a picture of it :smile

Iarwain
04-14-2005, 06:46 AM
No, I didn't get a picture and there really wasn't much to see anyway since he was completely inside the sling to keep him from taking off across the parking lot. From the outside it kinda looked like there was a newborn in there 'cause of the way he was laying cradled like a baby.

He's a pretty tolerant kitty so when he's completely recovered I may try it again for a picture. We have pictures of him in a doll stroller and dressed in a pink tutu so why not this?

Sanveann
04-14-2005, 07:57 PM
LOL! I bet that was adorable!

UltraMother
04-14-2005, 09:58 PM
My mil took her ancient cat on a cross-country flight in one of those front-pack carriers for cats, and it worked really well.

Iarwain
04-15-2005, 07:22 AM
My mil took her ancient cat on a cross-country flight in one of those front-pack carriers for cats, and it worked really well.

OMGoodness! I couldn't even imagine taking a cat on an airplane! Wow. I'm glad she had the option, flying could be really stressful and hard on an older animal otherwise.

domesticzookeeper
04-16-2005, 08:49 PM
I've thought about slinging one of the cats, but then they'd all want to be held, and I don't think I could handle three wriggling kitties :rolleyes

I do have a photo around here somewhere of Stephanie (the kitten ;)) being carried around in a baggy sweater that became an impromptu pouch. She seemed very happy being "slung" around :)