PDA

View Full Version : need help w/situation.....total chaos!

lovemytwins
04-13-2005, 11:52 AM
Ok,here is the situation that I totally failed at. I'm feeling horrible about what happened. The plan was to drop my boys off at MIL while I ran a few errands(they would be sleeping over too). I ended up sticking around longer than I thought -at around noon I knew the boys were getting tired and needed to eat(so I told MIL this many times)I did not want to leave till I knew they were fed and napping. Finally at 1 I went ahead and started lunch-they ate at 1:30. Long story short,after a small chain of events they went to the garage door and let themselves out( I was grabbing my shoes and yelling for them to wait-my MIL was in the yard watering flowers) They ran out without shoes(so did I) grabbed their ride ons and went down the slanted driveway,ending up in the street. I rand down grabbed their ride ons and said "you are done riding cars,mommy said to wait,the road is not for playing" They headed up the driveway then did a turn toward running out of the sub-division to a busy street. I threw the cars in the house and yelled for help,turned and ran after them. They were laughing side by side(still no shoes) I finally caught them grabbed them each by the arm and swatted(regretfully!) their bottom,turned them around and said get back to the house now! They fell in the mud a couple of times,but headed toward the house. I'm practically crying at this point. Still no MIL! We are back at the house,MIL comes out and I say we are done,we are going home,they cannot play in the front of your house on cars they are too young and some other stuff. She said nothing. I called my DH he said "go home,it sounds like chaos". So now we are home,they are asleep. I feel awful for spanking,for everything!!! What should I have done????

MarynMunchkins
04-13-2005, 12:01 PM
:hug

Everything but the spanking. :) Isn't your mil the one who suggested spanking them in the mall or something like that? :/ She sounds rather um...passive agressive. :)

It sounds like it was just one of those days that wasn't going to go well, and your mil doesn't sound very into having the boys there. I think having a long nap and a good cuddle will help make the rest of the day go a little smoother.

:hug Try not to beat yourself up. You have twin 3 year old boys - things are going to be frustrating and overwhelming. Apologize and move on from there. The fact that you're sorry and feel awful says a lot about how you're growing. :tu

schoolofmom
04-13-2005, 12:10 PM
First of all, :hug What a tough afternoon! Sounds like you all were overstimulated and tired.

-at around noon I knew the boys were getting tired and needed to eat... Finally at 1 I went ahead and started lunch-they ate at 1:30.

What happened between noon and 1? Were you waiting for your MIL to start lunch? (I'm only asking this because you said you told your MIL this multiple times.)

Long story short,after a small chain of events they went to the garage door and let themselves out

This reminds me of the "yada yada yada" episode of Seinfeld. :lol Do you mind explaining the small chain of events? That might help with the answer to What should I have done????

:hug I agree with BananaBugTaterTot--don't beat yourself up. Just tell 'em you're sorry--I've had to do that so many times with my kiddos! They love you and will forgive you--probably are close to forgetting it already.

Iarwain
04-13-2005, 01:24 PM
:hug :hug :hug

It's OK. Stuff happens. Chaos sometimes happens. Sometimes we do things we regret as moms. Somehow we all survive it. I had days like that, too, when my twins were small. Days when one thing kept leading to another and another and... At the end of the day a good cry now and then was a big relief.

It is no use going back and saying "what should I have done?" but it can be very useful to say "how will I handle this if a similar situation happens again?" Take all the factors and look at ways to either get a better result in the circumstance or to prevent the circumstance that led to the chaos from occurring. You also have some valuable information about your MIL to consider as you interact with her in the future.

(((hugs)))

I hope the rest of your day is more peaceful.

schoolofmom
04-13-2005, 01:40 PM
It is no use going back and saying "what should I have done?" but it can be very useful to say "how will I handle this if a similar situation happens again?"

Yes, excellent point! :clap