PDA

View Full Version : My Dh's concern about wearing and delayed walking....

Micah
04-13-2005, 10:03 AM
is it a legitimate concern?
If I'm wearing Micah a LOT...do you think it will delay his walking even more?
He will be 14 months on the 22nd...was a preemie so is behind on most everything anyway...my Dh is concerned that having him in the sling a lot will delay his walking even more. :think

Wonder Woman
04-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Well, I've heard of non-worn babies not walking until 18 months. Ds is now 17 months and didn't really start walking until 14 mos, and he was only 3 weeks preemie. And he was/is slung a lot :)

My mom told me that all the time about ds. I don't think it delayed his walking any (dh was a later walker, too) but what it *did* do for ds was make him very alert, observant, and verbal.

Just our experience...

MarynMunchkins
04-13-2005, 11:31 AM
I wore Colin in the sling 4+ hours a day the first 6 months. He *lived* in the sling, and he started walking at 8.5 months. :D

It just depends on the kid. :shrug Frankly, I cried when Colin started walking - I had to childproof that much more. ;) :P

Micah
04-13-2005, 01:25 PM
I cried when Colin started walking - I had to childproof that much more. ;) :P

:) LOL

schoolofmom
04-13-2005, 01:35 PM
I literally never put my son down unless he was sleeping or I was changing his diaper. I even went to the bathroom with him in the sling (yes, he is/was very high-need.) He started crawling at five months when we put him on the floor at my BIL's house. It was the first time he'd been on the floor in a month because we were living at my IL's house and they had filthy, disgusting dogs that went to the bathroom in the house.

I still carried ds most of the time after that, and he started walking on his 9 month birthday. :dash

Now, OTOH, my nephew, who was safely confined :rolleyes to his crib, playpen, walker, etc., did not walk till 15 months. Personally I think a lot of the time, barring physical problems, it's a reflection of the child's personality. My kids were both eager to get where they wanted to go!

Micah
04-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the reassurance! :)

Radosny Matka
04-13-2005, 07:14 PM
Nope. No concern. My 1st didnt' crawl until 11.5 months, and walked at 14 months (and I didn't know about slings back then). It depends on the child.

I just wanted to add that the little guy in your avatar is gorgeous! What a little ham!

Micah
04-13-2005, 07:21 PM
I just wanted to add that the little guy in your avatar is gorgeous! What a little ham!

Thank you! That's my Micah ;)

crunchymum
04-15-2005, 11:46 AM
oh, yes! he's so cute! :mrgreen

i've actually heard opposit... that slung babies walk earlier? :lol there's always conflicting info, huh?

i slung my babies a LOT, and they both started walking around 10 months... my neighbors son walked at around 15 months ( which i think is normal), and she didn't sling. :shrug

DogwoodMama
04-15-2005, 02:54 PM
I've heard similar to Jenn, that sling babies walk sooner. It didn't slow mine down! :)

I've also heard that it can help the development of the vestibular system which can help balance... it seems true to me, my dd has great balance. :)

ArmsOfLove
04-15-2005, 03:00 PM
Well one of my slung babies walked at 7 months ;) Babies walk when they are ready. There is a tribe I read about that has a ground touching ceremony around 6 months and they put the baby down for the first time ever and the baby crawls :) Fear that slinging will delay walking, and most fears related to baby wearing, really are unfounded :)

Micah
04-15-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks all! :)