PDA

View Full Version : container gardening

blessedmama21
04-12-2005, 10:36 AM
after being honest with myself I have decided that I am only human and won't be doing the big garden this summer. I have decided to do some container plants and be kind to myself. :mrgreen
What are some things you have planted in containers and got a good result?

expatmom
04-12-2005, 02:33 PM
Tessera,

Can you tell me more about how you have grown strawberries? How big was your container? Did you grow them from seeds or from plants?

Thanks!

snlmama
04-13-2005, 10:01 AM
Any type of herb does great in pots. I'm doing some container gardening this year b/c last year we had a lot of trouble keeping the dog and kids from trampling the tomatoes and I don't have time to do raised beds and a fence right now (which is what I need). I'm doing mostly tomatoes, but will probably plant some type of pepper for dh. I've done both of those before in pots and they were fine. I also have a lemon tree in a pot, which did GREAT last year. My mom does strawberries in a regular pot so she can move them into their green house in the winter. I don't recall her doing anything really "special" w/ them.
You can really grow anything in a pot provided the pot is big enough - I've actually even done some roses in pots when we were in an apartment and they did fine - just need lots of sun.
Just go to the garden store and look for stuff you like and ask if it will do OK in a pot. :)

jujubnme
04-13-2005, 10:37 AM
I'm not the greatest gardener, but we have three big planters on our deck that I plant with cascading petunias every year, and they're always pretty resilient, hardy and very colorful. I've also planted basil and cilantro in pots to good success. This year I'm also trying a mesclun mix and red leaf lettuce.

Wikolia
04-22-2005, 10:36 PM
I have done lettuce and radish with good results. I have lots of citrus trees that bear in pots. I am growing parsley and tomatoes currently.
Vicki