PDA

View Full Version : she wanted to fix me!!!

grandmama
04-12-2005, 10:21 AM
I had a huge revelation while I was in church on Sunday.

For some reason, out of the blue, I remembered that about 14 years ago when I had a VERY difficult child who was 2, a woman at church, whose oldest at the time child was also two, (this was her first child and my 5th) gave me not one, but two copies of To Train Up A Child by the Pearls. (I think she gave them to me about a year apart.)

All this time I thought she was just wanting to pass along a resource she liked until this weekend it dawned on me that she was trying to fix me!

I think I am glad that I didn't know it until now. I guess I am just slow....

ArmsOfLove
04-12-2005, 10:24 AM
A time when ignorance really is bliss :) :heart

I was around about 4 or 5 first time pregnant women when I was pg with my 3rd. The discussion turned to praising Babywise :rolleyes I piped up that I didn't find the book a positive at all and that I actually work with families who are trying to recover from having used those methods and the damage it did to their families. One of the young women started asking me more questions the others literallly looked at me, said nothing, and turned back to one another and going on about praising all they've heard from the book :shrug

DebraBaker
04-12-2005, 12:42 PM
Now, that's what I call slow to anger :lol

Don't you love the confidence of a young first time parent with an infant??

db

BluegrassMama
04-12-2005, 02:30 PM
:lol Grandmama wins the Lifetime Achievement Award for assigning positive intent!

My fourth baby had a rough transition into this world, with alot of colic and :hissyfit (especially at church)...I was stunned at the amount of advice I got from mothers of one infant! As if I had no sort of experience or philosophy at all!

Crystal, I know. Whether you criticize Babywise or grow an extra head, the response is the same :shrug

MarynMunchkins
04-12-2005, 04:06 PM
:lol I guess you're fairly easy-going, huh? ;)

What I hate is anytime you mention that you won't be Babywising or forcing your child to CIO or go hungry, people say "Oh, you must be Superwoman" or "I have to have my sleep". :rolleyes Yes, because I don't need sleep and I have x-ray vision. :P

mom2threePKs
04-12-2005, 07:03 PM
I am :laughtears reading these responses...As well as turning :blush

I remember before I had even begun toilet learning with my first telling a mom of three about this great book about potty training that I was planning to use and how I'd let her borrow it if she wanted. She was very sweet and said something like "I'd rather pay for diapers than therapy, they all got there eventually!" What a pain in the neck I was!!!! :roll I've totally given myself the giggles.

Magan

snlmama
04-12-2005, 07:21 PM
Grandmama wins the Lifetime Achievement Award for assigning positive intent!

:congrats
:mrgreen

mom2_AthruZ
04-14-2005, 07:49 AM
:lol I guess you're fairly easy-going, huh? ;)

What I hate is anytime you mention that you won't be Babywising or forcing your child to CIO or go hungry, people say "Oh, you must be Superwoman" or "I have to have my sleep". :rolleyes Yes, because I don't need sleep and I have x-ray vision. :P

:laughtears :laughtears

Can you can some of your quick wit and send it my way??? Pleeeeeaaaaasssee. :mrgreen

Chris3jam
04-14-2005, 09:18 AM
For some reason, out of the blue, I remembered that about 14 years ago when I had a VERY difficult child who was 2, a woman at church, whose oldest at the time child was also two, (this was her first child and my 5th) gave me not one, but two copies of To Train Up A Child by the Pearls. (I think she gave them to me about a year apart.)

:D And don't you just LOVE it when a completely deluded and arrogant TEENAGER hands you a copy of that very same book! Or starts giving parenting advice to the momma of 3 standing right next to you! It was SO ridiculous, I didn't even know whether to laugh, cry, be offended, give her a good whipping (ala Pearl for being "disrespectful to an authority figure"), or just walk away! I sure could use some of that quick wit, too!

This Busy Mom
04-16-2005, 06:22 AM
Hmmm... you too, eh? The pearl follower we knew went so far as to try to properly spank my son... needless to say we cut ties. I'm glad I didn't go to church with her.