PDA

View Full Version : Clay and Sally Clarkson

grandmama
04-12-2005, 10:07 AM
I just picked up some books by these authors because they came highly recommended by some folks here. Has anyone else read them and are you interested in discussing them?

Leslie
04-12-2005, 10:25 AM
I'm almost finished with The Mission of Motherhood and getting ready to read the fathering one.

(I got the name of the book wrong the first time!)

katiekind
04-12-2005, 11:17 AM
I have Heartfelt Discipline and The Mission of Motherhood on my bookshelf. I've given them a good look-over (not a thorough reading, unfortunately.) I think they have a lot of really good things to say, and what excites me is that -the Clarksons speak the language of those in the conservative homeschooling Christian circles that often find their way to Ezzo, Pearl, Fugate. Hopefully the Clarksons are earning a hearing with many.

tree_hugger
04-12-2005, 10:00 PM
I have The Mission of Motherhood and I constantly re-read and refer to it. I find it so inspiring, it is an aweseome book.

I understand the Clarksons *used* to be punitive and spank their children, but has some kind revelation and converted to GBD.

Here is a quote from the Amazon description of Heartfelt Discipline by Clay Clarkson (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1578565839/qid%3D1113368231/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-0536703-2165406).

At last, here is a faith-directed approach to discipline that spares the rod but doesn’t spoil the children. Through biblical advice, answers to commonly asked questions, and positive encouragement, Clay Clarkson presents a new, biblical model of discipline–one that allows parents to embrace a completely new way of thinking about childhood discipline, renew their relationships with their children, and transform the dynamics of their family life.

I haven't read it yet, but I would like to. I'd also like to read The Ministry of Motherhood, by Sally.

chelsea
04-19-2005, 05:40 PM
I bought "Heartfelt Discipline" on the weekend and will read it as soon as I'm done reading "Jesus on Parenting" by Teresa Whitehurst. I can't wait, as I have never read Christian non-punitive books before and I am greatly anticipating them!! :mrgreen

LoveToReadMommy
04-26-2005, 12:16 PM
"Heartfelt Discipline" is the book that started me on the journey from being a punative/spanker tripp/ezzo follower to GBD and you all!!!! One night, after another screaming frustrating event with oldest dd, I went to the Christian bookstore and bought 5 parenting books. I started reading his, and couldn't put it down. It changed our life. Then I was doing an internet search and found GCM!

Mission of Motherhood is an amazing book, I give it to all first time mom's.

I love the Clarksons, all the posts have summed it up really well. I feel like they have done more to mentor me than anyone IRL. (I should give credit to Crystal too from here)

:)

mama2mychildren
04-26-2005, 01:39 PM
Love, love, love "Mission of Motherhood". It sounds cheesy but it completely changed me and my response to motherhood. I would love to discuss it. I'm also planning on picking up "The Ministry of Motherhood" but not sure how it differs from Mission...

LoveToReadMommy
04-28-2005, 11:39 AM
I have Ministry too, but haven't read it yet, because I want to re-read Mission. But I've been doing a lot of reading in the GBD area, so I probably won't get to Ministry soon. Maybe we could do an on line group thing with it sometime. We're doing that in the Gentle Discipline forum now with "Easy to Love Difficult To Discipline". It's neat.

tree_hugger
04-30-2005, 05:48 AM
Mission of Motherhood is an amazing book, I give it to all first time mom's.

Me too! :cool

Singingmom
04-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Educating the Wholehearted Child is a really good book for homeschoolers to read. :)