PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling all 4 children today.here's a peek into my home (updated)

Quietspirit
04-12-2005, 08:25 AM
My one son is home with a low grade fever today and the other son does not have Kindergarten today. So, I have the four children home and it's given me a great insight into how it will be when they all come home for school in the next few years! :tu

Baby is napping :) :bf1

We did Bible with Betty Lukens felts (everyone took a turn reading from Genesis and doing the felts)

My 7 year old and 10 year old both did some math pages and reading/grammar skills pages

The 5 year old is still playing with felts.

My 10 year old is writing in his journal about a board game he is designing. (his own idea)

My 7 year old is making Food Chain Webs out of the Lukens animal felts. ;) (his own idea)

We will be doing science next (animal groups) as a group.

Baby will be up in about 1 hour or so

Lunch and outside play

Library

Read aloud (2 chapters out of "Thomas in Danger" excellant series of books about boys in history..similar to "American Girl" books but with boy characters! This book's about a boy and his family in the American Revolution times.

Free time (the boys have plans to play Dinopoly (math game kind of like Monopoly but with dinasaurs)

It's been such a fun day! :hearts And a great mixture of Mommy-led activity and child-led activities! :)

threecubs
04-12-2005, 09:38 AM
That sounds like such a fulfilling day. I love days like that :).

Quietspirit
04-12-2005, 09:49 AM
Thanks, Toni :) It has been fulfilling. We are new to homeschooling (just a month into it) so it's neat for me to be able to share something here on this board! :)

erinee
04-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Ooo, I want to find that Dinopoly game! Zach would love it. I'm also going to my library website right now to look for that series.

Sounds like such fun!

greenemama
04-12-2005, 10:12 AM
you do such a good job attending to everyone!

i'm exhausted just reading the schedule!

:tu

ArmsOfLove
04-12-2005, 10:28 AM
what a great day! But I thought I was gonna get a peek with a picture :hissyfit

Quietspirit
04-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Sorry Crystal :) I can't post pictures to the site because I don't have a hosting site anywhere to put pictures. If I could post a pic straight from our computer disk, I would. :think

Let's see...here's a mental picture for you:

Me at our kitchen table with the 3 boys (you've seen pics of us at my website ;)). My kitchen currently is waiting to be painted so the walls are a taupe color with various areas that have been primed. Our kitchen table is medium oak brown with 4 chairs. My cabinets are white, there is an island with granite color countertops. The floors are Pergo wood in a reddish brown oak color. There are french doors behind the kitchen table leading out to the deck and a fenced in back yard. There is a pond out behind the fence, with about 10 ducks and a blue heron. We have a bird feeder in the back, so there are several robins and a few sparrows out there now also. The dog is curled up on his dog bed in the family room which is next to our kitchen. Step down into the family room, and we have two couches that are golden, red and olive green. There is a wide plaid chair in the same colors with an ottoman. There are two end tables, one square and one oval that are golden oak with darker oak inlays. There is an old piano, sorely in need of refurbishing but no money for that right now. ;) It's dark wood and solid mahogonay. My family room has a large picture window on one wall with floor to ceiling off-white drapes. There is a gas fireplace with white mantel, etc. On it are vases (golden amber glass) filled with dried eucalyptus. There are two square picture windows high on the fireplace wall, on either side. We'll be curled up on that couch in a few minutes to finsh reading the Thomas book.

Does that help? ;) It was kinda fun describing a picture with words! ;)

boonpnutsmom
04-12-2005, 12:03 PM
You can use a free site, www.photobucket.com (http://www.photobucket.com) can you tell how desperate I am for other HUMAN contact, lol. God bless you with all that you have in your full full day today!!!

hearttender4
04-12-2005, 12:25 PM
Sounds fun. :) We have Dogopoly here. ;) I'm going to look into those books for boys you described! Where did you find them? My girls read American girl books at around age 9 and 10, and I don't think my son would like them as well. :P

MamaBeth
04-12-2005, 12:43 PM
What is the book series you're talking about? That sounds great!

Quietspirit
04-12-2005, 01:26 PM
The book series is called American Adventurers by Bonnie Pryor. The first book is "Thomas" then there's "Thomas in Danger", "Luke" and "Joseph". We got them at our library. Excellant books for read aloud or reading alone (they are about 3rd grade level and up). My son, age 10, loves them and so do my 7 & 5 year old sons. :) :tu

erinee
04-12-2005, 01:51 PM
My library had the series, so I added them to my book list there. When we get through a couple that we are currently reading, we'll start on those. I think Zach will love them!

fourbygrace
04-13-2005, 08:57 PM
What a great day! It is really encouraging to have homeschool days like that, especially when you are just beginning. :tu

I know your "mental picture" was for Crystal, but your house sounds so cozy and homey. I really just wanted to come over to your house and have a cup of tea while watching the birds out back. :cup :cookie That would be so great for nature study.

I am also going to check out those American Adventurer books for my 7 year old ds.

Blessings,
Mary

ArmsOfLove
04-13-2005, 09:00 PM
:O What a beautiful picture, beautiful family and beautiful home :O Thank you :heart