PDA

View Full Version : Did you make your own?

Close2MyHeart
04-12-2005, 06:03 AM
And if so, how? I really love the Ella Roo that I've seen. I think it would be nice to have even w/ my toddlers for hiking, etc this summer. However, I can't affod $75 on a sling!!! :( So i was wonderin' if anyone has made one similar and if so, was it easy??

MarynMunchkins
04-13-2005, 11:38 AM
I've made all my carriers. :D And TRUST ME, my sewing skills are pathetic. ;)

www.mamatoto.org (http://www.mamatoto.org) has some great instructions about making a wrap. I spent $6 for the material for mine, and just hemmed the edges. It took about 20 minutes. :tu

www.sleepingbaby.net (http://www.sleepingbaby.net) has instructions for a mei tei and ring sling. I've made both, and Jan's instructions are awesome! :mrgreen The ring sling takes about 45 minutes to make. The mei tei took me forever (like 5 hours!), but that was because I kept making mistakes. :P It looks great though - I'll have post pictures of it.

None of my carriers have cost more than $25 in material. :)

cklewis
04-13-2005, 11:45 AM
I've used Jan's instructions and the Maya wrap instructions. Jan's are better. :woohoo

I'm eager to read more of these ideas though because I bought the fabric for another sling, but I haven't made it yet. So I'm listening.

C

MarynMunchkins
04-13-2005, 02:34 PM
Camille, try the mei tei! It's SO comfy vs. the sling once you reach toddler stage. :tu

Stonebeck Farm
04-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Hey Becca-

I make my own slings- they are pretty easy- especaily since I saw you posted somewhere about having lots of fabric. These days I make Maya type wraps- although for the new baby I'm going to try a few others just for fun. The Mom who sends out the homeschooling emails makes slings too. :cool She is also a quilter and has a quilting get together once a month up in your neck of the woods.

Slings are fun to make :mrgreen

Wholly Mama
04-18-2005, 04:30 PM
Yes! A wrap is SO easy! I didn't even hem the edges of mine :shifty Just cut the material and started tying! And ring slings are pretty simple too.

Close2MyHeart
04-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Hey Becca-

I make my own slings- they are pretty easy- especaily since I saw you posted somewhere about having lots of fabric. These days I make Maya type wraps- although for the new baby I'm going to try a few others just for fun. The Mom who sends out the homeschooling emails makes slings too. :cool She is also a quilter and has a quilting get together once a month up in your neck of the woods.

Slings are fun to make :mrgreen

I am a quilter too!! Well, new to it, but I have been enjoying it! Wonder where her get togethers are... I do have lots of fabric. I'm a little unsure of how to tie it all, tho I think I saw a site that had tying methods. My question is, does the knot ever come undone or slip? I would really like a sling for this baby. I think it would be extremely helpful since I have the other 3 kiddos too.

Close2MyHeart
04-18-2005, 04:45 PM
Yes! A wrap is SO easy! I didn't even hem the edges of mine :shifty Just cut the material and started tying! And ring slings are pretty simple too.

Wow! That does sound easy. Ok, so they sound pretty simple and from what I've seen online they look pretty simple. I think I'm gonna make one! Can you use them for an 18 mo old?

kris10s
04-18-2005, 05:27 PM
I've made ring slings and a pouch. I just look at various instructions to get the gist and go to it :)

Wholly Mama
04-18-2005, 06:23 PM
Can you use them for an 18 mo old?

Yes! You can even use them for a 2.5 yo! You can even use them for a 4.5 yo!

Punkie
04-18-2005, 08:29 PM
I made one from the "no sew" instructions on mamatoto. All you need are 2 rubber bands and the material :) I always get compliments on that one too!

Stonebeck Farm
04-28-2005, 04:51 AM
Hey Becca-

Just reading this today :blush

The HS mom who has the monthly quilting get togethers lives I suspect 5-8 minutes from you and has the meetings at her house!

I would be glad to help you make a sling...( I sent you an emial) I use rings and my rings have never come out.

salt_light
04-28-2005, 06:39 AM
I made my own pouch, which I love..... planning on making another sometime. I also did the mamatoto wrap, like that one really well, but ds doesn't :doh

Oliveshoots
04-28-2005, 06:50 AM
I have made about 5 ring slings using the "folding method", and one using the "pleated method". Then i tried my own way of just gathering the section that would go through the rings. It fits my (rather large) shoulder MUCH better, spreads across my back better, and seems more comfy (a deeper pouch) for dd.

So in order of the style I prefer (1 being my fave):
1. gathered
2. pleated
3. folded

I use the steel rings from lowe's/home depot. The only thing about them is the rough edge where they are welded together picks the fabric on my favorite sling (it is a lightweight kind of chiffon type of fabric.)

Someday I want to have a no-sew like the one on mamatoto, but haven't gotten enough fabric for one yet.

cannuke
04-28-2005, 07:27 PM
Sort of off topic, but my MIL is making me one as a new baby gift. She's never done one before, so she's going to make a sample one to try (with different material that she has but won't work for a sling). I gave her Jan's instructions.

She's planning on using the sample one herself to put their new puppy in! He is a little cutie with a slightly deformed paw and she doesn't want him to hurt himself walking too far! :laughtears She is such an animal lover!

savinggrace
05-08-2005, 01:49 PM
If you want to make a really simple ring sling, www.slingmemommy.com has instructions for a basic fanned shoulder one. Easiest to sew and IMO most comfy too :smile

malakoa
05-11-2005, 08:11 AM
yes - i made a moby wrap, which I believe is similar in style to ellaroo - and it worked well until i washed it,
then it shrank.... and it won't fit.

but if you're wiser about fabric, you'll do well!