PDA

View Full Version : Anyone with Eczema and/or Psoriasis?

Soliloquy
04-11-2005, 08:32 PM
Hi,

My dad has psoriasis on his elbows, so when mine started getting really dry, flaky, and itchy last fall I went to a dermatologist. She said it didn't look like psoriasis yet, and diagnosed it as eczema and gave me a steroid cream. It didn't help at all, although I didn't use it very faithfully because I'm BFing and try to be minimal with any drug.

Now, it's much worse. They itch all the time and sometimes they bleed. The dry skin is starting to get thick and the only relief I get is from a heavy duty moisturizer.

I'm still BFing and TTC, so I don't even know if I should bother going back to the dermatologist. I don't think I would bother using anything she'd prescribe. Has anyone gotten relief from natural remedies?

TIA

Lisa

cobluegirl
04-11-2005, 09:02 PM
What kind of oils are you taking? boost your oil intake and start looking for an allergy. Eczema is caused by an allergy usually...wheat, dairy, corn....etc.

Soliloquy
04-11-2005, 09:07 PM
What kind of oils are you taking? boost your oil intake and start looking for an allergy. Eczema is caused by an allergy usually...wheat, dairy, corn....etc.

I take fish oil and flax oil. I've never had to limit foods in my whole life, but maybe I should try now . . . can food allergies really appear suddenly like this?

Punkie
04-11-2005, 09:21 PM
My son has eczema like you describe, and its from a dairy allergy. Maybe seeing an allergist would help to rule out allergies as a cause?

cobluegirl
04-11-2005, 09:31 PM
yes they can appear like that. you may have had an mild allergy and your body just got tired of fighting it and wala...full blown stuff appears....also if you consume too much of something youc an become allergic to it. I posted an allergy site further down the page..check it out.

snlmama
04-11-2005, 09:32 PM
The dry skin is starting to get thick and the only relief I get is from a heavy duty moisturizer.
Yep, that's how it is w/ eczema. My ds has eczema. Thought I'd throw out what we're doing now. We've eliminated all the usuall suspect foods and it didnt' help. Eczema can be caused by food allergy or my contact w/ something you are allergic to. My ds' gets worse during the season that his seasonal allergy/asthma issues are worse. Other things that can aggrivate eczema - heat, cold, dry air, soap, laundry detergent, seasonal allergies.
We found that the steriod creams and prescriptions didn't really help my ds.
Here is our skincare regimen. It is not what is typically rec. for eczema, but maybe if a few people tell you what they do it will help you figure out what works for you.
In general:
--in the laundry double rinse all clothes that ds will be wearing, all towels and sheets, anything else he'll come in contact w/. We only use Tide Free detergent any other still cause problems.
--No fabric softener, ever. Occasionally put vinegar in the first rinse cycle which is supposed to act as a softener.
--Use Dove soap at sinks for general hand washing *I do keep some antibacterial soap under the sink for really dirty hands or when someone has been sick*
--Always wear shoes outside, preferably tennis shoes w/ socks, to protect from grass, etc.
--Take Singulair, which is for allergies and asthma, but seems to have helped w/ the eczema also (I have also heard people swear by Zyrtec and Claritin)

Morning:
--shower, no soap or shampoo, follow w/ application of Yarrow Salve on itchy or irritated spots and Eucerin Cream all over.
--before nap/after lunch: put either Eucerin or Yarrow salve on any itchy or red spot
--anytime itching: put Yarrow salve on
--evening: bathe in plain water, wash hair at end of bath w/ Olive Oil Soap (Kiss my face brand), rinse hair and get out immediately. 2-3 times per week use ------Vaseline oil in bath (NOT bubble bath, but the unscented oil that is blue and in a clear bottle)
follow bath w/ Yarrow salve and/or Eucerin all over.

Other products I have found help, just not as well or don't work as well for us:
--Aveeno lotion and Aveeno Bath
--Moisturel lotion
--Cetaphil bath and lotion
--Aquaphor cream
--Herbs for Kids Super Kids Salve (this is a good sub for the Yarrow if you can't find that)