PDA

View Full Version : Very frustrated with DH last night

Meli
04-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Background
my dd (4yo) has been voluntarily trying to give up thumb sucking and doing very well, but occassionally gets upset - wanting to suck her thumb, yet not wanting to, etc. A couple of months ago we were cleaning up and came across an old deflated dummy which she wanted for her dolls. She played with it for a couple of days, then lost interest and it was put up on top of a cupboard and forgotten about again (I was going to throw it out but never got round to it). :doh

Sunday night DH was out, and dd was crying about not being able to suck her thumb. She remembered about the dummy and asked if she could have it. I knew it was deflated and would be uncomfortable to suck, that she was just looking for a distraction and would forget about it again in a few days, and given I was home alone trying to get 2 other kids to bed, I let her have it. I kind of looked at it as a way to be a stepping stone between thumb and no thumb.

Last night she had, as I predicted totally forgotten about it. But I made the mistake of checking she wasn't sucking her thumb (she wasn't)and putting a band aid on her thumb (her idea as a reminder) because it had fallen off during the day. That reminded her about the dummy and she asked for it, and dh totally flipped out. He told me off in front of the kids, told dd that "Mummy was wrong to give it to you", left dd in a screaming crying mess :hissyfit, and eventually gave in to her and let her have it anyway!! :doh

Now I recognise that letting her have it on Sunday night was probably not the wisest option :O, and I admitted that. But he undermined me in front of the kids, caused a massive tantrum, and then gave in to that. I am frustrated because I know she would have forgotten about it if he hadn't made such a big deal about it, but sure as heck she'll remember it now from the big blow up!! :banghead

We talked about it later, and lots of other discipline stuff came up. He was saying we are too lenient with the youngest, he doesn't want him in our bed (which is pretty rare now anyway, and when he is in our bed early morning crying for a feed and I am trying to stick to our night weaning - he is out of sync from daylight saving still - dh is going "feed him for goodness sake, I just want to sleep"), that we let eldest ds cry it out and he is none the worse for wear (eldest ds is a wonderful child, and was a very easy baby - we let him CIO once when he was 10mo and he slept through from then on). I argued that they were different personalities and that's why we parented differently (not that I would CIO with eldest given my time again) - our youngest would scream for days before he gave in! - ie that we adjusted our parenting to meet our children's individual needs. He argued instead that it was because we APed with the youngest that he is difficult. I am not permissive with the youngest, but I don't smack him either. DH thinks because I don't punish him, I am letting him get away with it. I argue that not giving into the tantrums means I am not letting him get away with it - I don't have to punish him as well - learning that they don't work to get what he wants is natural consequence enough.

When I talk about GBD ideas like the five steps and using "When, then" statements, reflecting feelings etc, DH nods and smiles as if he agrees, but when it comes down to it I think he just wants well behaved kids he can show off, so when they don't act as he wants he resorts to punishment, empty threats and even worse, bribery. :/

Thoughts?

ArmsOfLove
04-11-2005, 06:29 PM
:hug

I'm praying about a reply to you :)

MarynMunchkins
04-11-2005, 06:33 PM
Crystal, I want to read that reply. ;) My dh does the same thing - he agree in theory, but doesn't want to put forth the effort to actually work at discipline. :/

:hug Meli

snlmama
04-11-2005, 07:20 PM
:pray :hug
I think what I would do is agree to disagree w/ my dh on discipline for the time being, but set a firm boundary that we not argue about discipline or belittle one another's choices in front of the kids. I would also sit down when him when we aren't upset and talk about specific issues where he thinks I am too lenient and come up w/ a plan for addressing those issues. In our house, I tend to be the stricter one so I often have to ask dh to do this or agree to enforce certain rules.
It's hard to discipline when you are at odds w/ your spouse on basic issues. I know exactly what you mean about the different personalities. We were "lucky" and had our difficult child first and it's been amazing how wonderfully that has affected our parenting. I think we would have done things much differently w/ No. 2 if he had been #1 and found it much harder to deal w/ a second like my eldest. :hug

Joanne
04-12-2005, 03:22 PM
I believe that thumb sucking is best left up to the thumb sucker.

The more people (parents, mostly) tried to encourage, reward, support and help me, the more I wanted to suck. It lasted years when it would have lasted months if they had left me alone.

I think your DH was completely out of line, and not only from a GBD standard, but a mainstream one.

mummy2boys
04-12-2005, 04:24 PM
:hug Meli.....know exactly what you are talking about

set a firm boundary that we not argue about discipline or belittle one another's choices in front of the kids.

Yep...agree 100% with this

Meli
04-12-2005, 04:38 PM
Yes Joanne, that is why we are sooooo proud of her that she just said "I want to stop stucking my thumb. How about we put a band aid on it so I don't forget and suck it." And she gets sad sometimes that she can't suck it (espeically when she hurts herself) but is voluntarily sticking to it.

Meli
04-14-2005, 10:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Crystal, did you come up with anything new after praying on it?

ArmsOfLove
04-15-2005, 12:24 PM
I think that I really agree with Joanne's statement that your dh was out of line from a mainstream perspective. He openly undermined you in front of the kids and is taking over in an area that is not only up to your dd to be in charge of, but that she is actively taking charge of on her own schedule. It would make so much more sense to encourage the steps forward she is taking and realize that the steps back are because she is on the verge of a new level of maturity and she still wants to be a baby sometimes.

At the same time, I can't shake the feeling that this really has nothing to do with discipline and is your dh using that as the way to diffuse tension that really has to do with other things :shrug We've all had the experience of picking a fight with someone because we're stressed or upset and it doesn't matter what we pick to fight about--we just need to fight. It's not the healthiest approach, and sometimes we don't even know why we need to fight, it's just taking the valve off the stress and letting off steam. Is he going through a lot right now? I'd pray about how to go to him and talk about how inappropriate this was and how you feel about the way he is talking to you, especially about this issue.

I hth

Meli
04-15-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks Crystal, that could well be true. He IS very stressed - just opened up a new business. We did talk about it at the time and he apologised and agreed it was inappropriate. Luckily the situation has diffused because she hasn't mentioned the dummy since. However he is still very insistent that we "crack down" on our youngest in terms of tantrums, sleeping etc. Luckily I have been able to show DH the gentle process we have been working through with DS since he turned 2 in January and how well it is working, and how cracking down now could turn him back into a cling-y, insecure child. As long as he can see improvement I think he will be happy.