PDA

View Full Version : Key Lime Pie?

RealLifeMama
04-11-2005, 01:46 PM
I have a good recipe for Key lime pie but it is for a small pie. Well, a regular 9 inch pie. DH requested one for when company comes over tomorrw and he asked if I can make it thicker than normal. Apparently, there is a restaurant he went to that served Key Lime Pie that was really high, and looked more like a cheesecake and he wants me to do that.

I need a larger (ie, thicker and deeper)pie , so I am wondering if it would change it too much to double it and make it in a deep dish crust or maybe even a springform?
Has anyone tried this? I am not sure how to adjust the baking time. I'd hate to cut into it tomorrow night and then it be all soupy and runny, but I wouldn't know until then, KWIM? :shrug

jujubnme
04-14-2005, 07:26 AM
So how did it come out? I love key lime pie, but have never tried making it at home.

RealLifeMama
04-14-2005, 07:57 AM
I just bought a Frozen one!!! :O :D
I just had too much going on that day and the way things were going, I didn't want to risk it!
A few month or so ago, someone brought us a frozen Key Lime Pie made by Edwards and it was sooooo good, so I just did that! The guys liked it, so I would say it came out well! ;)

Key Lime Pie is really easy to make and has only three ingredients and then your crust. You can use a ready-made graham craker crust and it is really easy. You should try it sometime.
You just beat together 5 egg yolks and a can of sweetened condensed milk, then mix in about 1/3-1/2 (depending on how tart you like it) cup of key lime (or regular if you don't have key lime juice- but definitely go with the 1/3 cup!) Pour in the shell. You can use the whites for meringue if you like. It bakes at 375 for about 10-15 min or so, just really to kill off the nasties in the egg and help it set, I guess.
We always do whipped cream instead of meringue.
It is so easy, you should try it!

jujubnme
04-14-2005, 08:08 AM
:tu Great solution! Sometimes you gotta go for convenience. Sounds like the dinner turned out well nevertheless. Thanks for the recipe... I'll have to file it away for a special occasion. Dh doesn't like me to make desserts for everyday (we're both watching our weight, and there's only two of us to devour it all).

DogwoodMama
04-24-2005, 09:39 AM
I LOVE Edwards' Key Lime Pie. :O

Amy- it just cracks me up that your dh has such specific requests/ideas about things for you to make... I can hardly get my dh to express an opinion! :lol