PDA

View Full Version : Japanese

threecubs
04-11-2005, 11:50 AM
So, my 9 year old came up to me yesterday and told me he wants to learn another language. I asked him which one, and he said Japanese! I found a book and audio tape at the library, but I'm not sure yet as to how good they are (I have them on hold from the computer, so I haven't actually seen them yet).

Any recommendations? I can't afford something very expensive, but if he's really interested....I may be able to swing it somehow.

ArmsOfLove
04-11-2005, 11:53 AM
Does Muzzy have a Japanese program? I think they do. I was fluent as a child when we lived in Okinawa--but that was so long ago I only know a handful of words and two songs :blush I'd love to relearn it some day Tell your ds good choice :) :tu

threecubs
04-11-2005, 03:20 PM
Thank-you, Crystal.
I looked up Muzzy online, and I didn't see Japanese. I had forgetten that our local homeschooling group/yahoo list had posted a while ago that another county's library program had Rosetta Stone online. I signed up for their reciprocal lending agreement, and as soon as I have a card (I hope they send it to me!) I can sign up online and use the Rosetta Stone program! I'm hoping they have the Japanese.

That's too bad that you lost your ability to speak Japanese! One of the things I regret is not learning another language sooner. I know, I still could...but, I guess I am just too lazy now ;). I did take French in High school, and can pick out some words, and I can still sing the national anthem. LOL

threecubs
04-14-2005, 09:52 AM
Just an update to our search. We received our library card just yesterday, and I immediately signed in online, and the program looks amazing! Rosetta Stone has so many languages! I looked up prices online and it costs over $300 for the homeschooling program...I feel so blessed to be able to use it for free! If anyone is looking into language programs, check to see if your library has it online. I am so excited!

2TMama
04-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Toni~
How exciting :tu ! I was just admiring the Sonlight catalog's description of Rosetta Stone-- and really thinking about saving up for it! I never even THOUGHT about checking my library-- wow!

I'm part Japanese & my Dad/Stepmom have lived there for the past 5+ years. I think it would be a dream "field trip" to visit them-- and use Rosetta to learn the language a bit first!

PLEASE let me know how you like it!