PDA

View Full Version : Bittersweet--dd sleeping in own bed

traceyd
04-11-2005, 10:50 AM
DD is almost 5 and has slept w/dh and me since birth. DS joined us 16 months ago when he was born and it has worked well for our family. We have withstood criticisms and comments because we were doing what was best for our family. Over the past few months dd has wanted us to redo her room--basically a bedroom with her toys and clothes in it--and get her a "princess bed". When I would ask her if she planned on sleeping in there she would sometimes say yes and sometimes no but she continued to ask for the room to be redone. I finally relented and painted the room purple (her fav. color) and painted a castle mural on one wall. We got her inflatable bed that looks like a castle (she picked it out) and made the room very girly.

The first night she slept in there until around 11 pm and then came to our bed. We made it clear she was welcome anytime. The second night dh was sick so ds and I slept in the floor in dd's room all night. Last night (the third night) I was going to bed around midnight and she was tossing around in her bed so I got her and brought her to the family bed. This morning she was irritated with me for getting her out of her bed :neutral. I honestly didn't think she would be ready to leave the bed before I was. I sure am going to miss cuddling her. Just needed to share with someone who wouldn't say "it's about time".

Tracey

Kaz
04-12-2005, 08:50 AM
:hug

BTW, I really like your approach. Your children are lucky to have a Mum like you.

godsgracegiven
04-15-2005, 02:06 AM
She likes sleeping in her bed but what I think is so cool, is when she climbs in bed with me, she is never crying or upset. She always comes in to or room with a huge smile and snuggles right up next to me and goes right back to sleep I just posted this comment in another thread, but I wanted to share here too because I totally believe she is like this because we still welcome her into our bed. And to give you a big :tu :tu That is so awesome!!

AttachedMamma
05-09-2005, 06:28 PM
:hug You can count on me to never say, "It's about time!". :grin I love having our DD next to us. She will be 5 in Oct and has been making remarks about sleeping in her own bed someday. She's seen pictures of frilly canopy beds and wants us to buy one and put it next to the family bed (which is a huge king bed). :lol She also has ideas about redecorating her room (I knew I shouldn't have let her watch the HGTV channel w/me!) We're putting off any major changes right now b/c there is a possibility we could be moving out of state.

I know the day will come soon enough when she will completely want her own space. What comes next? "Don't kiss me in front of the other kids, mommy."? :cry I cherish this time and DH also says he will miss her out of our bed. When she was 2.5 yo and still waking at night a gazillion times, we sometimes longed for our own space. But after that dwindled down, it's just pure heaven having her in bed with us. :hearts DH and I love to look at her sleeping...like brand-new parents looking at their newborn. It's so sweet! :heart

All these little moments of "letting go" are hard. I sympathize with you and admire what you've done. You've honored what she needed. :hearts People think kids don't wean themselves, but our DD ended our nursing relationship a couple weeks before her 4th birthday. I'm thinking kids will all eventually want their own bed too.

cindi