PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put clothes when you run out of room?

Lantern Light Mama
04-11-2005, 09:44 AM
:shiftyWe are facing a major storage crisis, I realize this with the baby on the way. I have like two dressers, and three closets. I'm lacking space and a place to put furniture in this house altogether. So where do you put the laundry when you run out of room?

It's a real problem for us because we have been keeping it in baskets but then the baskets get mixed, and there isnt anywhere to put those either. I can't stand clutter.
Does anyone have any reasonably cheap ideas (minus plastic bins, those dont seem to work well either for us), and there is also no storage space beneath or beds by the way.

Also how do you store your cd's. For lack of a better place to put them I have them in a zippered big plastic bed in a bag bed.

I'd love to hear any ideas. Im all out.

boysmama
04-11-2005, 12:17 PM
What do I do? I give away clothes. :D. LOL.
With three kids storage is always an issue, and I am really trying to limit our amount of clothes (and other possesions) because we have limited space.

We have two single dressers and a double, and these contain all our clothes and towels, linen, etc. I like to be able to put everything away, so we don't have baskets, etc.
I give away clothes we don't use regularly, throw away clothes noone else would use either, store winter clothes away in the basement when it isn't cold.

But it is a constant battle, I feel like I am 'pruning' our clothes-storage at least once a month.

BeckaBlue
04-11-2005, 04:11 PM
walmart has cheap dressers, not the greatest but the hopld the clothes, i try to get rid of clothes, i just went through my dd's clothes yesterday, a TON of them, lol! rubbermaid tubs are good too

and i love the closet thingies, that hang from the bars w/ 'cubbies'

MarynMunchkins
04-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Home Depot (and I assume other home improvement stores) sell dressers in their closet organization section. They're MUCH nicer than the ones you can buy at Wal-Mart or Target. :)

Space bags ROCK! :tu They're not especially cheap, but they store a TON of clothes in just a little bit of space. I have all of the in between size clothing in those, and it takes up about 1/4 of the space it would without the bags.

And I have a seperated bin for dirty laundry. It has three bags to sort laundry on the fly, and I just keep mine in the laundry room. Than I can use baskets for clean laundry. Oh, and I've found that hanging clothes not only makes doing laundry go faster, but takes up less space than folding it. :)

Mother of Sons
04-11-2005, 06:23 PM
nt

tree_hugger
04-12-2005, 01:21 AM
What do I do? I give away clothes. :D. LOL.

Me too. Seriously.

Ben and Sam share one dresser, which gives them two big drawers and one small drawer each. They each have Ts and jumpers in one big drawer, shorts and pants in another big drawer and their pyjamas in a small drawer. There are two baskets that sit on top of the dresser - one holds socks and undies (they are pretty much the same size, so I don't have to sort them) and one holds nappy covers, wipes and bum cream. And the cloth nappies are stacked up there, too.

The boys also have hooks on the back of their bedroom door for their jackets, hats and dressing gowns.

The only clothes I hang onto are ones that Ben has outgrown and will be passed on to Sam - and they must be in good repair. They are stored in a space-bag on the top shelf in my wardrobe.

I have one dresser with three large drawers, which holds my clothes that get folded and my pyjamas, and sits inside the wardrobet.I have a huge wardrobe to myself, which is about one third full of my hanging clothes, and the rest storage. My bedside table has three small drawers - one for socks, one for knickers and one for bras. :)

boonpnutsmom
04-12-2005, 01:37 AM
Ethan and Shayla both have colorful metal cubes in their closets under their hanging clothes...I cannot remember the names of them but you snap them together in different configurations to your own needs.

Garnet
04-20-2005, 07:11 AM
Yup, I am in thre process of giving away clothes too......My goal is for the kids to have about 8-9 summer outfits that hopefully mix and match, and of course their church clothes. I am not keeping any winter clothes that probably won't fit next winter, so anything under a size 6 is leaving Hope's closet, and anything under a size 7 is gone from Brandon's, and Hughs is anything under a size 4. I just threw away a whole trash bag of stained and mismatched socks, and bought one new package each, and thats it for spring and summer. Sick of the mess! :hissyfit

By cd's do you mean cloth dipes or cd's? For cd's I'd get a wall holder, takes up less space. For cloth dipes, assuming you don't have space for even a fold out changing table, I'd keep them in a low box with lid you can slide under something.......

malakoa
04-20-2005, 07:45 AM
I checked out Julia Morgenstern's organization video from the library. - she has good ideas to help become organized over all.

Lantern Light Mama
04-20-2005, 10:33 AM
Oops, sorry I did mean cloth diapers. Right now ours are stored in bags, bin, baskets, but we really need a system before the baby gets here.

I just cleaned out a whole bin full of clothing today that I dont wear anymore, and donated it to the thrift shop on post. That helped a little. Im still not done:( though.

Garnet
04-21-2005, 06:27 AM
What about one of those diaper bags that hangs on a doorknob? They would even be easy to make, http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-7364805-9395022?asin=B0001VJNWY&AFID=k40316&ref=tgt_adv_XSD10000&ref=tgt_adv_XSD10000

like that just cut your fabric, hem the sides that need it, and the front split, then use a heavy duty coat hanger in teh top.

grandmama
04-21-2005, 08:01 AM
I like to store off season clothing in large plastic tubs which go on shelves in my basement. They are labeled and then I know where to find the next size for which child.

I don't really like dressers for children...they end up trying to find a particular item and they root through the drawers and it never stays organized. Instead, I prefer shelves in the closet where you can stack folded clothes and they can see at one glance what they are looking for. Also, no dressers clears up space in the rooms for other things and for play.

My favorite clothing tip is actually a laundry tip. I keep a large stainless steel rack (from Sam's club) in the basement next to the washer and dryer. Each person has their own basket and there is another one for towels and sheets. I try to fold things right out of the dryer to avoid wrinkling and place them in the correct baskets. The children take their baskets to their rooms, unload them, and place them back on the shelves. When I am caught up with laundry, this is a great thing. :tu Other times I have piles of clothes to be folded in the middle of my bed....not a great thing. :td

mommyTay
04-21-2005, 08:32 AM
I know you said this doesn't work for you, but we keep extras in rubbermaid containers under the beds. This past year, I have made a major effort at keeping minimum clothes and sending the rest on to goodwill, freecycle or friends that can use them.

For diapers, we had a pattern for a diaper stacker that hung on the wall above the changing area.
Right now our diapers are in the top drawer of the dresser that has changing pad on top. I have plenty of dresser space right now, with no current foster kids.

something glorious
04-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Oops, sorry I did mean cloth diapers. Right now ours are stored in bags, bin, baskets, but we really need a system before the baby gets here.

this is what i did/do, and it works FABULOUSLY. keep 2 things in mind - i purchased my "supplies" when we still had 2 incomes. :lol and you could do the same thing for a lot cheaper :mrgreen

we ordered this changing table in white:

http://store.babycenter.com/product/nursery/furniture/changing_tables/6492

we didn't install the drawer, b/c it is super shallow and wouldn't hold much of anything :rolleyes

instead we bought 4 XL white sabrina baskets (http://ww1.potterybarnkids.com/cat/pip.cfm?src=shpab%7Ccstobsk%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fb%2Fshp ab%7Ccsto%7Cda%7Crshop%5Fb&pkey=cstobsk%7Cab&gids=k4006) and put 2 per shelf. we have 1 basket of small diapers, inserts, etc., 1 basket of medium diapers, inserts, etc., one basket with wipes and such, and right now in the 4th basket we have extra changing pad covers, CPFs (which we use as burp cloths, not diapers). we use the white scalloped liners in the baskets so that the dipes don't get rips or "pulls", etc.

now that ella is getting a little big for the table we bought 2 more baskets & liners to set on top for extra storage...transitioning the piece quite efficiently from changing table to shelving/storage unit :)

hth!