PDA

View Full Version : Hydrangeas -- Ever plant one outside?

cklewis
04-11-2005, 03:49 AM
I bought one for Easter pretty. It's sooooooo lovely. Sigh. . . .

And the tag says I can plant this outdoors. Anybody else do this? Any tips. I'm in Zone 7, I think it is.

C

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/cklewis/Spring.jpg

expatmom
04-11-2005, 03:36 PM
I just planted 2 of these outside in clay pots. They remind me of my grandma.

I have no idea what zone 7 means, but I'm pretty sure these would grow anywhere.

katiekind
04-13-2005, 09:14 AM
Hydrangeas are easy to grow where I live (zone 6b), mid-South. Don't know if a florist one will do as well, but you have nothing to lose, right? They like a semi-shady location. Protection from afternoon sun is pretty important. They are very thirsty plants (hydra, get it?) so be prepared to water them deeply when summer gets hot. They'll show they are thirsty, they look pathetic with droopy leaves, but they perk right back up when you water them. I don't have to do any kind of winter protection.

Another nice thing about hydrangeas is that they make baby hydrangeas very easily. Yay! I started with two from my friend's hydrangeas and I now have 8. (Or at least I think I do. Three of them are new ones I moved away from the mama bush this spring. They are looking good so far.)

jujubnme
04-13-2005, 10:44 AM
This idea intrigued me, because I currently have a potted hydrangea too sitting on my kitchen table. I found this article (http://www.hydrangeashydrangeas.com/foil.html), which basically says that it can be done, but success is more the exception than the rule. I think that your zone is probably ideal for this kind of hydrangea, though, as long as you have the right kind of spot for it. As I read, they thrive best in morning sun and afternoon shade. I think the place I was going to replant mine is way too sunny :(.

cklewis
04-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Hmmm. . . . all very interesting. I think I have the perfect spot on the North side of the house (cooler there). It's certainly worth a try. What do I have to lose?

Now I have to convince my DH that we need to buy about 30 wave petunias as they are on clearance and plant them on our ugly back hill. He won't agree to it, I know. .. . Sigh. . . . That's another thread, I guess.

C

Meli
04-13-2005, 06:01 PM
I've nevere seen them as a pot plant, but often in gardens. We have three enormous hygrangeas in our back garden - about 6 foot tall and slightly wider than that. I'd take photos, but mid autumn and they are all dying back. The colour (blue or pink) depends on the acidicity of the soil - blue in acidic soils, pink in alkaline soils

SandKsmama
04-15-2005, 09:51 AM
Camille, we've always had hydrangeas outside (and I'm in NC, so not that much further north than you). They change color depending on the acidity of the soil. But they seem to do well here. (I think central NC is pretty similar climate to SC - Greenville's maybe a little warmer, but not a whole bunch)

Amanda

cklewis
04-15-2005, 09:58 AM
:nak

Well, I'll probably plant it outside after DS's nap. he's loving outside play right now.

Here's another question. I have some camellia fertilizer which is acidic (because that's what they like). Will that work to keep this blue? I killed the camellias. :cry

C

jujubnme
04-15-2005, 10:15 AM
Disclaimer: I'm only a wanna-be gardener. I tend to kill things by not paying close enough attention :(. But I'm really trying to learn....

I just bought a ph testing kit from our garden shop. It wasn't expensive at all. I think you might want to see where your soil is at before adding anything to it. Then, I've mostly heard of using alumunim sulfate to make the soil more acidic. Not sure about the camillia fertilizer :shrug. Maybe it has aluminum in it with other stuff?? Oh, I did read that they do like organic matter (compost, humus) in the soil no matter what ph it is. :)

cklewis
04-15-2005, 01:42 PM
Well, it's done. I planted between the Japanese Maple and the jasmine, and DH came home and said, "That won't work there." :P So he said, "You should plant it there." Pointing at an ugly spot in the yard. Oh well, it is an ugly spot, and this might make it pretty.

So it's been planted to a third home now. The camellia fertilizer did have aluminum phosphate in it, so I just threw in half of a handful in that. It's a wet spot too, so that should help.

So we'll see. . . . Thanks again everybody!!!

C

cheri
04-16-2005, 06:06 AM
Let us know how it works out. I tried to plant one last summer in my side yard and it died.