PDA

View Full Version : Climbing child

Heather Micaela
04-11-2005, 03:21 AM
I have a little 20 month old girl who literaly climbs the furnature and pulls things off shelves.

"No" dosn't stop her and coming to get her makes her laugh like it is a game.

How do I keep her (and our things) safe in a GD way. (I have childprrofed about as much as I can realisticly)

snlmama
04-11-2005, 06:48 AM
My boys are big climbers. What I find helps, particularly at that age, is to give them safe places *to* climb and when they climb where it's not safe or allowed to move them to a safe climbing spot. Pretty much anything that will not fall or break and isn't over tile is an "allowed" climbing spot here. They know not to climb at other people's houses and since they get a lot of climbing in at home they do OK w/ that. I think at 20 months I probably did have to stop them a lot.
hth

BeckaBlue
04-11-2005, 06:57 AM
yep, LOTSA redirection. ds is a big climber too, its entertaining kinda, lol!! if theres anything that she can, move her there, or offer her something different but lotsa fun to do

ArmsOfLove
04-11-2005, 10:46 AM
I agree with providing a safe place to climb. I also am not really worried about kids climbing so I'd allow that but put boundaries on what can be done while climbing--iow you can get on the back of the couch but may not reach over and empty the bookshelf. If they can't respect that boundary then I back it up and keep them off the couch. If they want to climb, they'll quickly stop doing the other stuff.

I find that when children are good climbers they are also typically good *getter downers* so I don't worry too much about their safety unless the place they are climbing is not safe. So as much as possible get her around climbing toys and safe places to climb :)