PDA

View Full Version : lovies?

Thia
04-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Does your child have one? Did they pick it out or did you? At what age? What is it? And anything else you can add would be appreciated.

boonpnutsmom
04-10-2005, 11:51 AM
Ethan has a little Elephant we call Elphie. He actually has two of them he loved them so much. He is now almost 8 and still sleeps with them everynight. They were both bought when he was a baby and we had to get a second one which was good because I have never seen them again.

Shayla has a big purple HIPPO, she is 5 and it GOES everywhere with her. She loves it. I tell her on the days that she forgets to take her to school with her, I go get her and she sits on my desk, so she doesn't cry while she is gone.

Evan is 2, and he is a blankie baby like me. I still have my baby blankies and I sleep with them everynight as does he. But his go everywere with him, EVERYWHERE. Luckily he is not too picky on the color as long as they all feel the same.

My lovies are some very ragged receiving blankets from when I was a baby. When my sister was here in January she reenforced them for me as they are in tatters (after 30 years most things are) and now they are as good as new. I can wake up out of a dead sleep if they are taken or fall off the bed at night. I have to have these or I can't sleep. I am Linus in a Mama form, lol.

Radosny Matka
04-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Nathaniel has a kitty, "brown kitty," that is his kitty. He sleeps with it everynight. He chose it himself at a little over 2 years of age.

Micah
04-10-2005, 07:10 PM
My 13 month old's 'lovie' is his burp cloth....and he chose it, probably from having it under his chin so much when tiny. :laughtears

KoalaMommy
04-11-2005, 05:31 PM
I'm afraid I'm DD's lovie!!!!!!!!!!! If there is a way to introduce her to another one, I'd love to hear it. While I love that my baby loves most to cuddle with me, I would like her to sleep on her own eventually!!!

Thia
04-12-2005, 08:09 AM
I was reading in NCSS that you should introduce a lovie. She recommends doing so by placing lovie between you when nursing or bottle feeding. At first, it should only be given to the child during nursing or when trying to get them to sleep so that they connect the lovie with sleep. She also says that the mother or father can tuck it under a shirt or something for a bit each day so that it gets the scent of the parent which can be comforting to the child.
I have been thinking of this for my own dd, that is why I asked.

Ali
04-12-2005, 12:58 PM
DS has a little stuffed animal that has only it's head, hands and feet stuffed.  The rest is floppy fleecy material.  I got him this not expecting it to be his lovey, but it worked out great because it was floppy enough for newborn hands to grasp, but firm enough that I didn't worry about him with it at night, like I might a thick blanket. 
Anyway, I decided to help that become his lovey after reading NCSS and seeing other kids with theirs and how it was comforting to them.  So, I held it with us when we nursed and always had him sleep with it.  He is really attached now, but I really think it's great that he has that little piece of stability and comfort besides just momma (although I am #1 Lovey to him ;)).  It really helps him get to sleep in different places (visits with family, in the car) because he has something familiar that he associates with sleep. 
It's also really neat to see him so tenderly caring for it.  He offers it drinks and food and hugs it saying "awww".  He holds it out for me to kiss at bedtime  :hearts.  (Then again, I have seen him in the same breath whapping it against the wall  :laughtears).    He's also jointly attached to the pacifier, which is another story :/.
Good question.  I loved reading about all the other lovies!! Fun!

flowermama
04-13-2005, 02:39 AM
I had a roommate at college who had a tattered blanket that was her lovie. :heart actually, I think there was just a small section of the blanket that was left.

I have one of my dh's lovies from when he was a baby -- a really well-loved teddy bear. :heart

My kiddos so far haven't had a lovie (besides me and dh ;)). I've never really tried to introduce one. I can see the possible benefits, but we haven't seen a need for one yet, and our kiddos have been fine without one, I think, as far as I can tell. :O

I'm afraid I'm DD's lovie!!!!!!!!!!! If there is a way to introduce her to another one, I'd love to hear it. While I love that my baby loves most to cuddle with me, I would like her to sleep on her own eventually!!!

It's really great that you are your DD's lovie. :heart Keep enjoying those sweet cuddles all you can... our little ones grow up quicker than can be imagined. :heart

MidnightCafe
04-15-2005, 01:29 PM
DD has two loveys, but she doesn't really carry them everywhere or sleep with them all the time, though. She definately loves them & it bothers her when she can't find them. They are both dolls made with my hair. I purchased them here: http://loveybabies.com/ DD calls them "Yubbies!"

For the most part I agree that DH & I are her loveys, though. She can do without the dolls. She can't sleep without one of us! ;)

milkmommy
04-15-2005, 01:34 PM
DD has a blanket she always gets when shes tired or upset thats really the closest to a lovie.. Of course if shes REALLY tired and old towel will do ;) :lol
Deanna

cklewis
04-15-2005, 01:48 PM
I had a roommate at college who had a tattered blanket that was her lovie. :heart actually, I think there was just a small section of the blanket that was left.

Me too. She actually had five pieces of it because she thought (when she was little) she could have five big blankets if she cut up the one. FTR, it didn't grow. :lol

I'm afraid I'm DD's lovie!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too! He has a few soft toys that I catch him comforting every now and then, but none have acquired a place of honor. :shrug

C

DogwoodMama
04-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Yeah, my dd doesn't have a lovie either... I bought a taggie & she has a stuffed tody, but no particular interest in them. :)

Does anyone remember how they felt about their lovies growing up? I had a thread-bare "puppy dog" (that was his name :lol) that I was so attached to... I remember hugging him sooooo tight and kissing him, almost with a feeling of desperation b/c I got very little affection from my parents. :( Because of my experience, I would prefer my dc not *need* a lovey.

My brother, two years younger than me, didn't have a lovey that I recall... instead he was very physical with *me* and would tackle me and squeeze me so tight, saying "huggie!" I hated it at the time b/c sometimes I could hardly breathe, but now it is a sweet memory. :)

Dizzy Blond
04-18-2005, 01:29 PM
My dd's lovie is a blanket (1 foot square). It helps her when she's tired, upset etc. Even more than her paci. If I don't have that, my pj's sometimes work (they feel similar).

MamatoBiz
04-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Biz has a 2 foot square white blanket with the satiney edging. She actually named it "Lovey"!! By herself.

Lovey has a personality and is a very gender-specific Girl Blanket. Lovey is slightly insecure and needs Biz to feel safe. Lovey does not like being left alone in the car, so Biz is very careful to remember to bring her out after car trips. Lovey thinks it's really fun to have a picnic set out on her stomach. Lovey really likes "hamburger hugs", where she is squished up between a Biz and Mommy or Biz and Daddy hug. Lovey is really friendly but also wary of strangers.

Dh's mom, Mamaw, gave Lovey to Biz when she was six months old. Biz only really discovered Lovey about a year ago.

I don't think her attachment to Lovey is because of a lack of attention or affection from us, but perhaps helped by a lack of child interaction and having few little friends.

cklewis
04-18-2005, 01:56 PM
I want to reconsider my post. DS has a lovey. It's a mole on my neck. :/ When he's frustrated, he seeks it out, and he immediately soothes when he finds it. :rolleyes

I don't mind except when he picks at it. Drives me blonkerz!! :banghead

C

luvinmykidz
05-12-2005, 11:54 PM
Richard has a seahorse lovey named Lady! He doesn't go anywhere without her. He is afraid of the dark so when we are driving at night time he holds his lovey and says my lovey keep me safe! He snuggles her constantly and he loves her so so much!! Here is a picture of what she looks like.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/925885/lady.jpg

We never tried to introduce the lovey, he just grabbed her out of his toybox one day and has never put her down since!! It is so sweet to see how much he is comforted by her. Whenever he is having a meltdown I will bring lady to him and he will stop crying in minutes and climb on my lap and cuddle his lovey!!

Allison
05-14-2005, 02:39 PM
Drew never had one, but Alex has a blankie that he loves. It was actually a handmade shower gift for Drew, but he never became attached to it, so it became the baby blanket for the crib. Alex became attached to it after he stopped co-sleeping around 13 months. Sometimes he'd rather hug that blankie than have nummies when he's hurt or tired. Kind makes me feel sad, but I'm happy that it makes it feel better.

ChibiBug
05-16-2005, 11:34 PM
Nope..I was my DS lovie...but now that he is 4 and ALL boy, he doesn't have room for lovies...cept when it's 3 in the morning and he's cold and wants to snugglehttp://chunkymonkeypics.homestead.com/files/smiley/Giggle.gif My youngest lovies his naynays :grin

hsmom26
05-25-2005, 06:26 PM
None of my six kids has ever had a lovie, either. Mommy is their lovie! :heart No pacifiers, either. I'm their only comfort object. Maybe that's a little too much for some moms and that's ok but I like it that way. :) They're very FIRMLY attached to me and there's no need to struggle to "break" them from the pacifier, blanket, lovie, etc. later on. And you can't carry your mommy's nursies around with you while you play so they gradually learn to rely on it less and less in order to be free to play and explore. ;)

Soliloquy
05-25-2005, 07:11 PM
I was reading in NCSS that you should introduce a lovie.

I read that too, but I disagree. I think if a child picks one out for him/herself, that's fine, but I'm not going to try to get her to have one. Like other moms wrote, I'm her "lovie" and while it can wear me out, I believe it's best for little children to get attached to people and not things. JMO, though.

I think if a separation is necessary, for work or whatever, or if you really need to night wean, then a lovie is a way to help the child cope.

greenemama
05-25-2005, 07:17 PM
henry has gary, a hippo, who is much loved. by all. i'm attached to him, too! :giggle

jude has pong, a pig, full name: pig pong. we're such dorks. jude isn't too sure. he plays with pong but doesn't snuggle him for sleep.

i think lovies are really cute. henry calls gary his, "baby!" and says, "i hear the baby crying! 'poppy's coming baby! don't be sad!'" precious. i think it's cute that he parents it. when jude is sad henry will give pong to him and say, "we want two [to nurse]."

:heart

cklewis
05-26-2005, 08:20 AM
jude has pong, a pig, full name: pig pong. we're such dorks. . . . henry calls gary his, "baby!" and says, "i hear the baby crying! 'poppy's coming baby! don't be sad!'" precious. i think it's cute that he parents it. when jude is sad henry will give pong to him and say, "we want two [to nurse]."

OH MY WORD, this is so charming. PIG PONG -- :laughtears

That made my morning.

C