PDA

View Full Version : Teaching a toddler to be quiet

ShowersofBlessings
04-10-2005, 07:07 AM
I am wondering when and how I should teach my toddler to be quiet while I am on the phone. I don't want to have unrealistic expectations, but I also don't want to be permissive either. Is there something I should be doing for ds while I am on the phone? I am not on the phone that much really. He is not verbal yet so he's not really talking, just trying to get my attention. Sometimes he is so loud I can't hear anything else...... Obviously when I teach him, I want to use gentle methods. :) So I would appreciate any advice. Thanks!

LoveToReadMommy
04-10-2005, 03:20 PM
I am responding to your post just to share with you that I cannot help you a bit, but wanted to tell ya that my kids are just about 4 and 6, and they always interupt me, many times when I am on the phone. I really try not to be on the phone too much, it's too annoying for everyone involved. I think it's part of being a mother of small children who need mommy a lot. Maybe it's just a battle I choose not to fight.... maybe someone can help you! :)

ArmsOfLove
04-10-2005, 03:40 PM
when my babes are little I'm willing to get off the phone, or ask compassionate friends who usually do the same thing ;), to hold on while I respond to them. There are times when I choose to not be on the phone because the kids are already being high needs. There are important calls I put off until someone can help with the kids. As for teaching them to be quiet . . . many moms find it helpful to have *phone toys* that come out when mom gets on the phone. Some choose to pop in a video during those times. I simply tell my children, "Mommy is on the phone and you need to be quiet." and then remind them. Eventually they get it--eventually. When they get it is when they're ready to get it :) My 3yo is able to be successful sometimes, not other times. With my older two I have the rule that if you bother me about something when I'm on the phone the answer is "no" automatically. After I'm off the phone I'm willing to revisit my decision--but only because they don't usually interrupt anymore :) When we first started this rule the answer stayed no if they bugged me while I was on the phone.

mummy2boys
04-10-2005, 03:43 PM
If I have a phone call I have 2 choices

1) I set up a video or something like that, get them a drink and something to snack on and tell them I will be on the phone and will come out to them when I am finished.

2) If its an unexpected phone call that can't wait I have a special Basket that I keep in the cupboard near the phone and I ask the caller to hang on for a minute so I can get the children occupied and then I give them the basket. I usually put in it colouring books or little books I have picked up cheaply, maybe a chocolate bar or something like that. The basket is "never" available any other time and they really get a kick out if it!!!

Well thats just how we do it......I am sure others will have some more suggestions too

SansSouci
04-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Fortunately, I'm very blessed with a toddler who (so far) doesn't interrupt me when I'm on the phone. So, I'm sorry but I don't have any personal experience to share with you.

I was reading a book on discipline, and it was saying that if you're going to be on the phone you should: a) provide certain toys for the child that they only get to play with while you're on the phone, or b) save phone time for when they're sleeping. If I have important phone calls to make, where I really need DD to not be making noise, I make those calls during naptime or after she's in bed.

Anyways, good luck, I imagine you (and the person on the other side of the line) must find it very annoying to be constantly interrupted.

love,
Elizabeth

milkmommy
04-11-2005, 11:40 PM
I keep a few boxes of "special toys" around their simple things like letter blocks or super hero action figures their kept up and closed if I need to talk and I take one down and let her play with it. Shes so thrilled with her "new toy" I can the step into an ajoining room (where noise is less but I can keep an eye on her) and talk away...
Umm so yea I bribe her :hiding

Deanna

Joanne
04-12-2005, 03:19 PM
You start teaching him now. Expect him to consistently get it "later". :highfive

chelsea
04-13-2005, 06:26 PM
I try to keep phone time to naps, etc or when "Grandma" is playing with my son. If I am on an important call and he does not need anything but rather is bored and wanting my attention, I make funny faces for him and very quietly jump around the room...it generally buys me a few more minutes and the people on the other end never seem to know! :wow

mzietlow
04-13-2005, 08:32 PM
Funny for this to be one of my first replies, but thought I'd chime in to say that my dh & I fondly call the bathroom our 'office'. We say, phone in hand, "I'm going to the office"! Since we have been working on the concept of privacy with the kids, we usually get a few extra minutes of peace in there.

One time, to my horror, I heard dh talking and then heard a flush...before he had hung up! :wow A big nooo-nooo! I couldn't believe he did that, but he wasn't very concerned. :doh