PDA

View Full Version : Food Allegry or IBS

apbfmom
04-09-2005, 03:40 PM
I'm starting to read about, and search for, information on food allergies. Does anybody know how to tell the difference between a food allergy and irritable bowel syndrome? Are they maybe the same thing, one is the symptom of the other? I'll discuss this with my doctor, but thought I'd throw it out to the group in case anybody has researched this issue.

cobluegirl
04-09-2005, 05:55 PM
I would suspect that the two are related. This website might be of use. http://www.specialfoods.com/
it is kind of deep to wade through so do so when you have some time..hehe

Irene
04-09-2005, 07:24 PM
I have read that most IBS is from a gluten intolerance

lmgeenw
04-10-2005, 11:10 AM
you might want to look up leaky gut syndrome as opposed to IBS. Many people believe that allergies are a result of leaky gut syndrome and digestive problems and allergies often go together.

LoveToReadMommy
04-10-2005, 08:40 PM
I thought doc's diagnosed IBS as sort of a "I don't know what is wrong" kind of thing. I believe it's related to food intolerance/allergy for sure, from personal experience. You'd be suprised how many doc's don't really take food intolerances seriously though.... :/

luvinmykidz
04-11-2005, 06:59 PM
I have IBS and I can tell you it can be linked to alot of things. Lack of fiber can cause it as well as some food intolerances, however when I am not having a flare up I can eat anything without any problems at all. Stress doesn't cause IBS but it can make it worse and more intense, mine was most severe during pregnancy after 20 weeks of hyperemisis. It lasted till my son was 3 months old and then it went away completely. Now in my 2nd pregnancy it is happening again and anything I eat or don't eat doesn't seem to make much of a difference :rolleyes