PDA

View Full Version : What's the best sling for the back carry?

Desert Rose
04-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I have a Nojo and a Maya. I can't seem to do the back carry. Ds is about 28 pounds, but it's not really the weight that's stopping me. It's the sling. Maybe I am doing something wrong. When I put the Maya on I follow all the directions, but I always seem to end up with my boobs all squished! :lol It's like I am wearing a halter top. The sling on the ring side is completely wrapped around my breast. It's all very awkward. Maybe the Maya isn't the best for the back carry. Is there something else you've used for the back carry?

Please help me! :doh

Havilah
04-08-2005, 06:44 PM
The Ergo is da bomb!! I know it's not technically a sling, but it is so fabulously comfortable compared to the maya or wrap carriers I tried. There's a little learning curve, and it's a bit pricy, but soooo worth the money :)

DogwoodMama
04-08-2005, 06:46 PM
I would definitely recommend a Mei Tei or something like an Ergo... I really don't find that with an older child a sling is adequate for a back carry... I will only sling my dd on my back in my cuddle n carry (http://www.cuddlencarry.homestead.com/index.html)... a wrap is also a possibility... there are wrap instructions here... http://www.mamatoto.org/

I think with a toddler, having support on both shoulders is really important for comfort and security! :)

Desert Rose
04-08-2005, 06:53 PM
I just checked out that cuddle n carry and it looks great for back wearing.

I will have to check the ergo now.

Thanks!

Punkie
04-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Yep, my favorite 2 are my ergo and my lovewrap podaegi, although you'll see my podaegi issues in the other thread (but they could easily be resolved). I preferred the look of the podaegi, since its more exotic looking :)

Roma
04-23-2005, 06:30 AM
i love maya because i can do front hip or back carry!!!

Micah
04-23-2005, 07:23 AM
Hmmm not sure why you can't back carry with maya, I can back carry both my 3.11 yr old and 1 year old in my plain ole ring sling. I wonder if it's the way your getting them on?

What I do is go ahead and get them on in a hip carry, then I 'hop' (almost literally) them around the back while helping my sling turn as I go...it stays in the proper area (between breasts) like I started with because I 'guide' it as I hop. :laughtears

Am I making any sense? :shifty

DogwoodMama
04-23-2005, 07:38 AM
Micah, I have tried to get my 1.5 yo on my back using my ring sling, but it doesn't feel supportive enough to me... what does it look like on your front? Where does the ring sit, for example? :) I'm wondering if it doesn't work for me b/c I'm somewhat large-chested (size DD), or if I'm just doing it wrong somehow... I'd love to be able to just get her on my back from the hip-carry position, that would be awesome, b/c often I just want her back there for a few minutes...

Roma
04-23-2005, 07:15 PM
http://www.taylormadeslings.com/instructions.html

have you seen this link for tips? that is what helped me.

Mother of Sons
04-23-2005, 07:25 PM
When you use a maya for back carry, the rings need to be up by your shoulder, just like for a front carry

Micah
04-23-2005, 07:59 PM
Ok my ring position:
when I hip carry my rings are just below my right shoulder and as I hop him around to the back going to the left..I guide the whole sling to the left as well...so the rings themselves end up being below my left breast but a bit closer to my left side rather then directly under the breast. :shrug That's how I do it!

ETA: BetsyPage that for that secure feeling I usually have to reach back pull him close against my back once and then really get that top rail cinched in...we feel pretty secure...than when he starts wiggling I know it's time to hop him back to the right and onto my left hip while guiding the sling back so the rings are back to the original point...he does ok on the back carry but then gets ready for a better view...and if he is wiggly I don't like him back there. I usually put him back there for about 10 mins at a time when I really want both hands totally and unrestricted---think kitchen work or feeding the horse. ;)

Micah
04-23-2005, 08:04 PM
When you use a maya for back carry, the rings need to be up by your shoulder, just like for a front carry

Thanks for clarifying about the maya...as I do not have one. ;)

ShangriLewis
04-23-2005, 08:17 PM
ERGO

Escher loves it!!!! He will actually fall asleep in it and that's saying alot =) I carried him in it for almost 5 hours in Seattle. Lots of hill walking and he fell asleep and I was totally comfortable.

Heather

righteous mama
04-25-2005, 09:22 PM
What I do is go ahead and get them on in a hip carry, then I 'hop' (almost literally) them around the back while helping my sling turn as I go...it stays in the proper area (between breasts) like I started with because I 'guide' it as I hop. :laughtears

OK, do you have video, 'cause I soooo want to see this! :laughtears :think ;)

Roma
04-26-2005, 09:04 AM
When you use a maya for back carry, the rings need to be up by your shoulder, just like for a front carry i didn't know that. i should watch the video again. i always start on the hip and slide him around.

wuzzie
04-28-2005, 10:24 AM
When you use a maya for back carry, the rings need to be up by your shoulder, just like for a front carry i didn't know that. i should watch the video again. i always start on the hip and slide him around.
The rings can put pressure on your breasts and cause plugged ducts if you are nursing.

Tengokujin
04-29-2005, 04:11 AM
I use a ring sling that I make for the back carry for my 30 something pound 20 mo. old. He loves it and it feels very secure. I made an unpadded ring sling that is even better--I feel like I can cinch it really tight. OH, and my ring sling is an open tail. I don't believe that the NOJO is open tail, and I think that can make it difficult to adjust upper and lower edges independently.

When I am putting him in/on, I position the ring not on my shoulder in the front, but around to the back--almost directly in back, KWIM? I have the sling loose a bit. I put him in on my hip, usually on the left, and SWING him around to the back. One hand guiding his body and the sling and the other hand grabbing the sling on the other side in the front. He loves the ride. I am careful that the sling has made a "bag" for his behind, and that the sling is pulled up high into his armpits. He doesn't like his arms constricted. Then I PULL on the tail and I use one hand to kinda lift his behind and arrange the fabric.

Is that as clear as mud? It is very impressive to other people to watch it all happening, especially when Ds giggles the whole time.

Without the padding, I feel like I can adjust the upper and lower edges more independently. If it doesn't feel secure, I do it again. I think it is key to have the behind securely in the sling so that when you tighten the lower edge he bends at the knees. If only I could figure out how to not have my shirt travel with the sling. I always feel slightly twisted. :D

I think I have heard that the back carry in a ring sling is only for a cooperative child. They could wriggle out I suppose. But you are sooo aware of them--if DS started to slip I would know immediately.

HTH!

ChibiBug
04-29-2005, 11:50 PM
I still have my first Maya sling from my 4yo that I use and I love it for long engagements because of the tail and nursing capabilities...but for short jaunts to the market, I prefer the Maya pouch that I recently bought! It's sooooo easy and hassle free!

Tengokujin
04-30-2005, 01:15 AM
I forgot to say earlier--when he is in the back, my ring ends up positioned right between them. I kinda spread out the sling fabric over one kinda like a bra cup. It does compress a bit,but doesn't cut. I haven't had any problems with plugged ducts from the sling, but it would differ from mom to mom. The back carry isn't appropriate for a little baby anyway, so I would think that BFing would be under control by then??

Roma
05-10-2005, 08:24 AM
The rings can put pressure on your breasts and cause plugged ducts if you are nursing.
i have been turning the sling so that the rings were down by stomach and then i put the extra fabric behind them so it doesn't hurt.

BornFreeBaby
05-10-2005, 02:25 PM
I have a 26 lb 17mo old and I can do the back/side carry with my nojo easily.
I just bought a mei tai I got at www.meitaibaby.com and it is beautifull!!!! I just love it, but I'm still learning how to manuver it and tie it around. I think there is some learning curve with it.. :doh

Michelle- do you like your new Maya pouch?