PDA

View Full Version : Anyone not parenting to sleep since daylight savings time?

AttachedMamma
04-08-2005, 06:38 PM
I may be in the minority, but I hate this time of year! When the clocks move forward and the evening is longer, getting DD to sleep does not work well. First, DH and I lose track of time b/c it is so light out. Then we get lazy and don't want to invest the hour it takes to parent DD to sleep. :blush Also, she has so much more energy. Doesn't matter that we have light-blocking curtains in our bedroom. The rest of the house seems so bright, so no one is in the mood.

The conversation has been like this the past few days--
DH: So what are we going to do about DD?
ME: I don't know; what do you think?
DH: I don't want to put her to sleep.
ME: Well, let's just let her stay up with us. :blush

So, then she doesn't go to bed until around 10 or 10:30. We sometimes end up watching TV together. :blush My child is rarely exposed to TV during the daytime, but we sometimes get weak at night, b/c if we're so beat, we just want to veg and watch "Scrubs". I feel like such a bad mom. :hissyfit Ok, I'm digressing.

DogwoodMama
04-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Ummm... yeah we are really struggling with it here, too. And the bad thing is dd still seems to be waking up at the same time, probably because dh wakes her, so she's really just getting less sleep. Not so good! :blush

phermion
04-08-2005, 06:52 PM
i just wait for it to get dark as well....like now, it's 8:45 and i have kids in the other room playing and my youngest on my lap. thankfully, we can choose what time we get up. :)

Havilah
04-08-2005, 06:54 PM
It's been tough on us, too. :sa We do try to enforce the bedtime and parent to sleep, but it takes forever! Frustrating.

I wish ds would sleep in, but he gets up at the same time no matter what time he goes to sleep :rolleyes

nutmeggmama
04-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Yeah...when we eventually have 21 hours of daylight, and it never truely gets dark, it's kinda tough to say, okay kids, sun's down it's bedtime... :/ Noah is already saying "its not dark out :idea can't I stay up???"

And it's difficult to be an enforcer of bedtime when it's 11:00pm, and it looks like it might be 4:30 :eek :lol
Light blocking curtains, etc are the only thing that can help. That, and teaching your kids what time looks like etc...

:shrug What to do???

Ali
04-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Yeah, when we lived in Germany, in the summer it was often not dark until 10:00pm. About and hour before DS bedtime, I closed all the curtains and turned on dim lamps and tried to make it seem more like night in the house. I think it helped DS and it certainly helped me get into the mindset.

akmyilee
04-14-2005, 12:39 PM
OT but I love the show scrubs........it is really a horrible show as far as ethicly, but it is SO hilirious!

Ok well on topic, our night seem to get longer too, I have moved dinner back to 7P cause we are still out doing stuff at 6.......ds doesn't go to bed til around 9 though so it is definatly dark by then.