PDA

View Full Version : deffinetaly egg allergic

BeckaBlue
04-08-2005, 06:35 PM
ds tested pos to an egg spt last august. we never had a real trial of it, since im not a big egg eater anyways.

well i ate some boiled eggs for easter as our trial, didnt go so well but he ate something else so i wasnt totally syre stillbut figured id comletely avoid anyways.

well tonight he got an egg out of the fridge and cracked it open, fell in it a couple times and he started crying after about the 3rd fall (i figured he was playing around :doh ) I wiped him down and figured his bath could wait just a bit and cleaned up the mess on the floor. within a couple minutes (when i started this post) his legs were bright red!! then w/in about 5min after the incident his back had welts all over it, his chest was delevoping them and his face/neck and arms had them too, all this from CONTACT only!!! I stopped posting and went and gave him benadryl (TG we got his safe benadryl a few wks ago!!!) and got him in the bath asap!

this is his biggest reaction that wasnt from me eating something bad, and it really scares me whatll happen if he gets nuts or milk since he reacts much worse to them in my milk then he did eggs. I'm watching/listening tonight for any breathing difficulties, praying it is no worse than what he had already, been about an hr now and it's faded a lot thankfully

and to think a yr ago when someone mentioned i shoudl avoid eggs that i thought 'oh, well he doesnt get any worse when i have them so i dont think they're problem" :rolleyes

ArmsOfLove
04-08-2005, 07:10 PM
:hug

Irene
04-08-2005, 08:40 PM
oh how scary!

Radosny Matka
04-09-2005, 11:05 AM
:eek Poor little guy. How scary. :hug

bostonsmama
04-15-2005, 07:49 PM
oh my! poor little man....be sure to give us an update....praying for your fam... :pray

Quietspirit
05-09-2005, 12:25 PM
:hug

I know how scary it is! My son (age 5 now) is fatally allergic to eggs, milk, peanuts and nuts. He is both contact and ingestion allergic. I HIGHLY reccomend (ok...I'm urging you :cool) to get an Epi Pen Jr from your allergist and also get an appt with a pediatric allergist if you haven't done so allready. If you've allready done those things, just ignore me :lol :P ;)

:hug :hug If you need practical help/tips, holler and I can send you some of my BTDT ideas.

Irene
05-09-2005, 02:13 PM
quiet spirit, do you keep the allergens out of your family completely? DD and Dh always eat eggs, but Im always so nervous because dd will spill some on the floor and ds goes around and picks things up off the floor and eats them :/ or he can reach the table now and grab plates if they are left... you know?

but I have such a hard time not knowing what to feed dd too.... :shrug

BeckaBlue
05-09-2005, 02:36 PM
Thanks quiet :heart we do have an epipen jr (4, actually)

he's seen the ped allergist in august, which is why we'd been avoiding eggs, he tested very high pos to it w/ a SPT

he's got a bunch, milk and peanuts are the worst, affecting his breathign if i eat them, egg he has only had minimul trouble w/ me eating, but as you read, it's still very bad, corn is his other main, not as severe though still, then okra is very bad too

there's others too that are questionable that he tested + too but don't seem affected when i eat (wheat, soy, and chicken) though ive only eaten things cooked in soy oil and some say that some dont react to soy oil

theres more that he's shown issues w/ that are iffy so those are all we're sure of

I only keep peanuts out totally, and we've kept out eggs too since this incident, though if something contains egg (like breakfast bars) we don't keepit away totally. corn is so difficult to avoid that i don't make the girls avoid it totally (though no popcorn or veggie corn), and milk or cheese is uncommon. most milk snacks have been 'almost' banned, though they've gotten them on occasion to only have in the car or when ds is asleep (or at school snack in kenzies case)

Quietspirit
05-10-2005, 12:39 PM
Irene,

Yes my entire family is egg, milk, nut, and peanut free. It is just easier that way. At first, I tried to juggle different diets but then found that we gad a few exposures/reactions. And that was way too stressful and scary! :eek So, we just all went to a "safe foods" diet.

We basically follow a vegan diet in terms of no milk or eggs. Since we are not vegan in terms of meat eating, we do eat chicken. But we avoid all dairy and eggs along with nuts. I found that it became easier after a few months to figure out what to feed everyone, etc.

Occasionally, the older boys will have a special treat of pizza or ice cream. I make sure we have a safe version for my 5 year old. We have assigned seating in the dining room as well to avoid contact issues. And we're probably one of the few families who washes hands both before and after we eat! Just in case..... ;)

Thanks quiet we do have an epipen jr (4, actually) Oh good! Sorry if I was repeating myself ;) I had to chuckle at the "4"...we have 4 also! :D

Irene
05-10-2005, 01:54 PM
thanks. We do the "vegan but meat" thing too. Just sometimes I dont know what to give dd for protein since she isnt real fond of meat or beans. she does like peanut butter but then again, I get nervous for ds... hmmm. everything else we have changed everyones diet, the dairy and gluten and all.
I'll have to think more about this cuz I dont like the nervousness ;)