PDA

View Full Version : When will this end?

joyfuljourney
04-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Today i took my 22 month old DS to the playground. There were about 50 disabled/down syndrome kids there playing sport with their teachers.soccer, t-ball etc. Of course my DS saw the balls and ... thats where he wanted to be. I managed to walk us through the middle of them then we walked down near the river. When we came back up DS saw them again and wanted to go and play. I had a really hard time trying to stop him from running to where they were playing. I tried refelcting his feelings. I tried distracting him. I tried being creative.He ended up having a full-on tantrum in my arms.(we were right near the road so couldn't put him down) I then had to physically restrain him while putting him in his car seat and he was arching his back, crying etc.
DS last two year molars are nearly through and I have usually blamed teething in part for his strong reactions, but when will it end????
(he has been teething constaantly since he was four months and ti just feels like it will never end. It has been a long hard road!!Also took DS to the supermarket to get some fruit and he ended up getting out of the trolley so i had to carry him and push the trolley- I also have an injured shoulder/arm at the moment so all the more uncomfortable) :/
I just feel horrible that I have to physically 'fight' against him like this.

Any ideas on other ways to approach this?

prayerbear
04-07-2005, 11:40 PM
but when will it end????

2 things I would say. We've all been there. You sound like you did great really taught him on the way down and on the way back.

He will learn to deal with his wanting to do things that he cant. Keep saying why he cant and perhaps you could have held him tight while he was fighting and then 'when' he settles down get him to look at the people playing and say we just cant join in with them because they are practicing as a team.

He may just be too young for this at the moment though. He will learn as you continue on a steady path and with the same boundaries with explanation.

Quietspirit
04-08-2005, 10:24 AM
You did very well! :tu

Remember, you cannot "make" him stop having big feelings. (and you wouldn't really want to ;)) You can help him, as he matures, learn to handle those feelings in more socially appropriate ways. That is your goal. Right now, though, he is still to young to do that. So keep doing what you are doing and the rest will follow. :hug

ArmsOfLove
04-08-2005, 10:40 AM
It will end when he's more verbal and has more maturity and self control :) Until then teach him and keep keeping him safe :)