PDA

View Full Version : What do you serve to company?

2sunshines
04-07-2005, 05:48 PM
When you have people over for dinner, what are your fave things to cook?

I know that certain meals work better when you have people over than others.

Just wondering what everyone's faves are.

We are having company for dinner tomorrow and I'm looking for ideas.

Thia
04-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Basic meat and potatoes work well here. I will throw a roast in the crock pot with potatoes, carrots, onions, and mushrooms.
Most people like Italian, and it is fairly easy. Spaghetti with a nice salad and loaf of Italian bread.
Those are probably the two most served meals to our guests. Sometimes dh will grill in the summer and I will make baked beans and green bean casserole.

jengi33
04-08-2005, 09:22 AM
lasagna and garlic bread
BBQ's and potato salad or macaroni salad
;)

jujubnme
04-08-2005, 09:38 AM
I'll be interested to hear what you've picked :). I'm one of those crazy people who often tries out new recipes on company. I'm not very good at getting everything timed together :O but once it's all ready, it's usually pretty good!

RealLifeMama
04-08-2005, 09:46 AM
Lots of company or just like another couple/person?

I serve all kinds of things because we have dinner guests quite frequently.
DH brings people home sometimes w/o much notice (well, he used to- not so much lately- and so I usually just make what I am making and nobody really minds. I think they are just glad to be welcomed into someones home.

I have made so many things that I probably wouldn't intentionally serve again, but the repeats that always come out well, are extremely well recieved and are no fuss for me dinners have been :

Salmon fillet w/ mango mustard and black beans (if they eat fish- I ask first) served with couscous and spinach salad is a favorite.

Jerk chicken with pineapple cilantro rice - this is a great summer dish- the rice is do ahead, and so is the chicken. It is a dry rub and then is grilled. I usually make a fruit salad and then since there is really nothing else to do and it is so light, I amke a spectacualr dessert, like Tiramisu Ice Cream Cake or something since it is so light. I have been making this for 5 years, and make this almost every time we have a summer dinner guest unless DH is sick of it.

Roast chicken w/ potatoes and roasted vegetables in winter.

Chicken w/; basil pesto cream sauce, pasta, salad and rolls

jujubnme
04-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Mmm, Amy, recipes please :). Is the mango mustard purchased? I have a :yum recipe for grilled jerk chicken already, but would love to hear about Tiramisu Ice Cream cake. And the chicken w/ basil pesto cream sauce... Or, can I just come over for dinner? ;) :mrgreen

Mothering by Heart
04-08-2005, 12:11 PM
Always BBQ here. Making dinner for company is something dh loves to do, and I just have to defer to his wishes ;)

waremock
04-08-2005, 02:29 PM
We do either lasagna and salad or dh makes a Spanish dish :)

expatmom
04-08-2005, 02:46 PM
Honey mustard chicken, rice & a big salad is our typical guest meal. It is easy & not a lot of fussing when the guests arrive.

Our backup is lasagna with salad & garlic bread

MidnightCafe
04-21-2005, 06:11 AM
What a great thread! Here are some of my company dishes:

• pasta - lots of different variations
•tacos! :yum
•enchiladas (chicken or potato)
•baked potatos with all the fixin's
•chili
•stir fry
• pizza (for those old college friends ;) )
•baked chicken with spinach mashed potatos

Um...I guess that's a big list of things we really like to eat & that I don't find too difficult to make for a bigger group! :mrgreen

We also tend to keep chips & salsa in the house - great for an afternoon treat to offer guests or for friends who stay late & we all get hungry again. I also try to keep the stuff for making pumpkin or sweet potato pie in the house (everything stores well for those - canned pumpkin, condensed milk, frozen pie crust, sugar & spices) to make a nice yummy/healthy dessert!