PDA

View Full Version : .. Memories, Like the Corners of My Mind and AP/GD perceptions

milkmommy
04-07-2005, 04:54 PM
The swing thread brought back soo many memories of what brought me here to GCM.. I was posting faily regular to another AP board/ positive discipline board but the more I read the more I questioned my beliefs. Their were too situations that I clearly remember.
1) a mother said her 15 month old child didn't like to be moved from his crib. Basically they'd put him to bed in his crib and then when they'd go to bed bring him in their bed. Well for a few days I read all these suggestions on BF back to sleep, wearing him in a sling instead, putting him in their bed from the start, letting baby stay up till they all went to bed.. and finially I couldn't stand it it anymore and I said it.... Umm honestly if hes sleeping peacefully in his crib (which was right beside their bed) I'd leave him and let him sleep. Well my gosh you'd thought I'd suggested they have him sleep out side in the snow :rolleyes

2) Another GD thread on if it was okay to require a toddler keep their budding art work to areas such as umm paper,or other places specially designed for art work. I sat at my computer stunned at thread after thread on who allowed their child to draw freely on all the walls tear up magazines and books (because they were "replacable" or because they didn't want to squash "creativity" Now don't get me wrong I'm all for creativity I've tacked huge pieces of butchor paper to the wall for finger painting, given my DD soap crayons and allowed art work on the kitchen floor. We do colluges with old magazines and newspapers etc.. but just randomly destroying property??

I pretty sure it was Chrystal who first taught me that AP and GD didn't permissivness that their were many ways of meeting a childs needs. I think its important to send this message to other parents.. SO I'll say thank you GCM thankyou for showing me what real AP/GD looks like. :mrgreen

Deanna