PDA

View Full Version : "Picky" Eater

Tracy
04-07-2005, 01:23 PM
I have a foster/adopt dd that picks and eats....how do I say it.....her nose pickins. Is there a way to stop her from doing it? Is this a "stage" she is going thru and I need to stop telling her to stop?

I have tried to let her pick, but to have a tissue available to put it in. I have made her wash her hands after she picks and eats. But she still does it. Help.

Tracy
wife to John
mom to Aubrey
and foster/adopt mom to two other beautiful girls.

mom2threePKs
04-07-2005, 02:15 PM
How old is she? Does she have any interest in stopping? Is she perhaps feeling stuffy allthe time because of allergies? The allergies where we are are at their peak right now. My dd5 picked her nose all the time! I don't think she ate them though! Recently she expressed an interest in stopping so we came up with a code word. When I see her picking I say the code word and she stops. I didn't make a big deal out of it before that. It bothered my mom but I really didn't care.

Hope that helps...

Magan

chelsea
04-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Don't they say, "What comes out must go in?" But really, maybe you could turn it into a fun game, like when you see her picking her nose grab a tissue (have one on hand all the time) and say "Mr Kleenex is hungrier than you are! He's gonna get that!" and wipe it off her hand before it gets to the nose. It's probably just a passing thing and it will eventually stop. On the other hand...I have seen adults doing it before (but always on the freeway when they think no one is looking)! :wow

Tracy
04-08-2005, 09:17 AM
She's 4. I don't mind the picking (we all do it). It's the eating I want to stop.

ArmsOfLove
04-08-2005, 04:16 PM
Hi, Tracy--so good to see you!

Gross, hunh ;) Mostly it's something that when it happens I get their attention and send them for a tissue; I've talked to them about not doing it, but I don't make too much of a deal about it. I know some people who believe that doing that has homeopathic benefits :shrug

Mothering by Heart
04-08-2005, 04:20 PM
My dd who turns 5 at the end of this month is a "picky" eater, too. I just told her that it s snot that collected the dirt that got into her nose and that she is really eating dirt. She looked a little surprised then disregarded the message :rolleyes I figure peer pressure will take care of it eventually ;)