PDA

View Full Version : Finally drawing up a will

AttachedMamma
04-07-2005, 10:07 AM
DH and I are finally going to see an attorney and put together a will. DH does not have any siblings and his parents live out of the country. I have 1 brother, but we have been disconnected for over 15 yrs and last I heard of him, he was still drinkin' and druggin' . I don't even know if he's alive. :( My parents are elderly and live out of state. The whole scenario terrifies me to think where our DD would be placed if DH and I were in a fatal car crash together. :cry You'd think we would have done this years ago. :doh

The hardest part has been deciding who would care for our DD. We really don't have any very close friends who fit all the criteria: married, w/children, christian, gentle parenting, etc. so we finally had to choose a family who, even though we haven't spend regular time with them, fits the rest of the criteria. And DD knows the mom and kids well. We knew WE had to choose someone or DD could end up in foster care. :cry

So, we're planning to get this done over the next couple of weeks. Does anyone have any tips/wisdom they would like to share? We're planning to have the family care for our DD and a single/no children friend of mine as executor. She's very saavy w/money and we've been friends for yrs. I trust her. Do you need alternates for each? I know the attorney will answer all of our questions. I'm just hoping to be as prepared as I can. There is so much to think about that my head is spinning. But, I'll feel so much better after this is all done. We owe it to our DD to get all our affairs in order and make sure she is taken care of in the event DH and I both died at the same time. :heart

Desert Rose
04-07-2005, 01:11 PM
No advice here, but I have the same questions. :think
It scares me to death that I might not be here to raise ds. The only person I know who I think would raise him AP-like is a non-relative. All my relatives are either not Christians or are punitive, or both!
Yikes... :pray praying the Lord let's me stay and raise ds forever!

Havilah
04-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Oh, I can relate :( We've *got* to do it... we've been putting it off.

momofmany
04-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Yeah, we need to do this too. We've been putting it off because we have four little ones and there's no one I know who would be willing to take all four of them together, other than my parents, but they are in their seventies so they wouldn't be able to raise them till they're fully grown.