PDA

View Full Version : could it be my house.....

Wonder Woman
04-07-2005, 08:46 AM
making us sick?

We live in a home that is over 100 years old. 7 months ago, we had the siding replaced, 2 porches removed, a back room torn off, and two windows and 3 doors replaced. When the windows were replaced, a lot of old plaster dust was stirred up. We've all been really run down this winter but we are SO sick right now, all with resp. infections - ds's ear, dh bronchitis, me pneumonia.

The windows are still untrimmed, as our contractor isn't back yet. So it is open plaster dust sitting there, but we don't go into that room at all.

Could this be making us ill? Ds is going to have to have surgery on his right ear soon if something doesn't change. But it is always his right ear, and I would think it would be both? But I have had bronchitis 4 times in the last 7 months and now pneumonia.

Ideas, anyone? TIA

lenswyf
04-07-2005, 08:57 AM
In a word, yes. Is there someone you could go visit for a week or two and see if things improve?

Chris3jam
04-07-2005, 09:09 AM
I agree.

Wonder Woman
04-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Is there someone you could go visit for a week or two and see if things improve?

We spent the entire month of February in another state. Ds got such a bad ear infection that we had to take a train home instead of flying. So I dunno? But, we were helping my parents move into a home that had been empty for a year...cleaning, painting, etc. Ds was only there a couple of times though, because I didn't want him around the yucky musty stuff, and I have asthma.

So I don't know if being there did any good or made it worse!

Chris3jam
04-07-2005, 10:38 AM
Ds got such a bad ear infection that we had to take a train home instead of flying. So I dunno? But, we were helping my parents move into a home that had been empty for a year...cleaning, painting, etc.

So I don't know if being there did any good or made it worse

Sounds like you didn't change the situation a whole lot. :D. Cleaning a house will stir up all kinds of stuff. It probably just did make it worse. And, this has been a very bad year for tons of stuff being kicked up.

MySeoulChild
04-07-2005, 10:43 AM
You know, I'm not saying it ISN"T the house, but we've been unusually sick this year, too.

I think the viruses are just getting mutated and stronger, and we don't have the antibodies to fight them all off. Our kids have had two stomach viruses (which we've NEVER dealt with in the past! ugh!) and the baby had three ear infections! It was awful.

Now things seem to be improving, but for a while it was one on top of the other - sick, sick, sick - all kinds of things :(
Even DH and I got the flu this year, and we've not had a fever/vomiting in a good 5 years.

MamaBeth
04-07-2005, 11:48 PM
I'd say it's possible. We've been sick nonstop since two months ago when housing started replacing trim, windows and the roof.