PDA

View Full Version : Ummm...what's up with my cat?

Mama Bird
04-07-2005, 05:38 AM
We just adopted her a couple of months ago. She's really sweet...we love her to pieces. After we chose her, we were given the paperwork saying she was spayed, vax'ed, etc. I saw a line on the vet's sheet that had an upcharge because it was a late pregnancy spay. :cry So, her tummy is still shaved from her spay, but I am starting to notice things that make me say hmm. We are feeding her Iams adult cat formula. She gets 1/3 cup daily, according to her weight. She usually doesn't finish quite all of it. She's using the litterbox fine, and regularly. However, she's getting round in the middle. :eek The really odd thing is that her nipples are very distended and sort of developing a little mound under each one. What's going on? Anyone? :shrug

Ali
04-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Hmmm, just a semi-educated guess, but it's probably hormone related from the late pregnancy spay. Too bad the shelter did not let your cat carry her kittens to term (assuming the kittens were ok) :(. Anyway, just like when women have a miscarriage, their bodies will often take a while to adjust, your cat's body probably still "thinks" it is pregnant and will take a little time to get back to "normal". I would give the vet a call anyway and see if the vet thinks you should bring her in, or if the things you described are actually side-effects of the spay. Sorry, that's kind of sad to think about! Regardless, your family did a wonderful thing by saving your kitty! I hope she is doing better soon!

domesticzookeeper
04-07-2005, 01:41 PM
I agree, her body probably thinks she's still pregnant :( Swollen, distended nipples could possibly be mastitis (she would have had her milk in with a late-term pregnancy). You may want the vet to check it out.

*edit* I re-read your post :blush, and I guess it's been a couple months now... :think Without having any of her reproductive organs, I'm really not sure what could be causing this :shrug I wish I could help more...

Sanveann
04-07-2005, 07:35 PM
Hmmmm ... I would take her in for a vet visit soon if this doesn't go away.

flowermama
04-07-2005, 07:52 PM
I don't know :( but I wanted to give you a :hug

UltraMother
04-07-2005, 11:09 PM
Last year I adopted a cat with a late-pg spay, and she ended up actually lactating for a few weeks, even though she (obviously) didn't give birth. The cat was fine.

Mama Bird
04-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Hmm...we think we've figured it out. When DH wakes up first, Mollie convinces him that she's utterly starving to death, so he feeds her 1/3 cup (her daily recommended amount for age and weight) of Iams. Then, when I wake up, she tells me that she's hungry. We just figured out today that the little moocher is getting at least double what she should be getting. Little minx. :heart

Iansmama
04-09-2005, 09:53 PM
:lol

I'm glad that it isn't anything that a little diet and exercise won't take care of!

domesticzookeeper
04-09-2005, 10:19 PM
:laughtears

Too funny! The sneaky little thing... :P

flowermama
04-09-2005, 10:23 PM
:lol

Sanveann
04-09-2005, 10:49 PM
LOL!

amstermarie
04-10-2005, 07:13 AM
"I saw a line on the vet's sheet that had an upcharge because it was a late pregnancy spay"

i am not sure what happened to the Q for quote, but i just wanted to add that when i was a vet tech this was the worst part of my job, assisting with this procedure. one time the dr, knowing i was pro-life put me on the spot. and asked me how i felt about it in animals, i told him i disagread. he prompltly replied, well this procedure is going to alow this stray to get a home. i guess that is one way to look at it, unfortanatley it is done all the time for humane societies. there is nothing you could have done, mommas and kittens are not allowed to go for adoption and they dont have the room to house them for 8 weeks. so they either spay her pg or put her down :( it is sad, but i it was my understanding it is somethign that must be done till people start takign care of there animals and spaying them :( :(

Sanveann
04-10-2005, 09:02 AM
I don't like it when my rescue group aborts kittens and puppies, either :( But sadly, there aren't enough homes already, and I'd rather they die before they're born than being euthanized afterward, KWIM?

UltraMother
04-10-2005, 07:56 PM
I worry about how hard it is on the momma cat's body , to be spayed while pg. I have no better or different answer, and the cats seem to recover okay, but I just don't like it.

Mama Bird
04-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Oh, I know. It really made me sad when I saw it. It broke my heart for my precious kitty. She's so gentle and loving...she would have made a wonderful mother. And we would have taken her...kittens and all. :cry