PDA

View Full Version : winter blues, preschool

lmgeenw
04-06-2005, 03:08 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and have been lurking for a few days trying to learn as much as I can. We are just starting our homeschooling journey. I have read a lot and talked to a lot of people over the past several years, but I still have so many questions!
We are definitely going to homeschool our daughter, who just turned four, starting in Kindergarten, but I have been considering putting her in preschool in the fall, as crazy as this may sound. There are lots of reasons for this and I would like any thought or comments on this. Unlike elementary school, there are tons of preschools around here to choose from and I keep thinking that maybe we will find a good fit.
The biggest reason is that this winter was really rough on our family and we drove each other nuts with nothing to do all winter. We live in MI and couldn't go outside. We are 20 minutes from any friends. All of my daughter's friends have been busy and in school.
My daughter is not good at playing by herself or keeping herself busy. I resorted to TV and the computer WAY too much because I needed time to do things other than keep my daughter occupied all day. She is very high-need and always has been. This winter she had lots of temper tantrums, complained that she was bored, fought with her brother constantly, and didn't want to do anything I suggested. Getting her to help me around the house is a constant battle. She loves games, workbooks, etc. if I do them with her. I spend as much time with her as possible, but she also has a one year old brother who gets into everything and needs attention. My daughter is great with other people though and is very happy and content as long as she is kept busy. She is a different child in church and at friend's houses. We do go to library time, church on Sundays (our church is too far away to go more than once a week), and we will do gymnastics in the fall, but it just isn't enough.
There are two small homeschool groups near us, but they offer no activites for preschool age children. I have even put ads in both homeschool newsletters looking for other moms of preschoolers who would like to start a playgroup or co-op preschool. I have also talked to other HS moms with older children and they seem to think our problems are a discipline issue. Most of the homeschoolers around here huge advocates of "To Train Up A Child," Perl :(, so I don't have much help when it comes to a lot of lifestyle issues. I think this is more of an issue of a highly intelligent child who needs a lot of stimulation, more than I have the energy and resources to give.
We have visited a couple preschools, but none that were that great and that would be a whole other post.
Sorry to write so much and thank you if you got all the way to the bottom of this. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Lady TS
04-06-2005, 05:31 PM
I am in a similar situation, with a 4yo, a 2 yo and am due in early June. We are considering homeschooling starting in kindergarden also, and like you, last winter was a trial with trying to keep ds busy and not bored. Some days -ok, many days-I was :banghead

I am thinking about preschool this fall for my own sanity as well as ds' sanity. I think it would be good for him to have the extra stimulation.

I will be watching this thread to see what other mama's have to say.

ShangriLewis
04-06-2005, 11:26 PM
I think if you can find a fun preschool then it's worth a try. Gibran (now 8) went for 3 days, 3 hours each day and it was heaven! It was very Montessori-like. They will finally get to an age where they are easier to be around. I haven't sent our Porter (5) child to preschool because he has a bigger brother and I just don't seem to have the same problems I had with Gibran. They really get along well and we try to really encourage that bond, so they like to play together! That gives mom a break ;)

Heather

jujubnme
04-07-2005, 06:19 AM
I think you've given a lot of good reasons for considering preschool. If it were me, I'd at least explore the options. I personally think that when it comes to schooling, there is no one-size-fits-all answer for every family. Even within a family there may be seasons when different choices for schooling should be considered. If you find a preschool that will fill the need for next year, I say go for it!