PDA

View Full Version : Help-my dishwasher detergent gives me a headache!

Mamatoto
04-06-2005, 07:01 AM
Actually all the brands at the grocery store do. I bought a brand at the HFS that is a powder and it is horrible-gets all cakey and doesn't clean. What to do? :shrug :doh

Gretchen
04-06-2005, 09:53 AM
Jodi,

Do you think it's the scent of the detergent that bothers you, or something else?

I've been looking for something more natural to use in the dishwasher, with no success. Basically I haven't found anything but Cascade that I feel does a good job on cutting boards. I've tried 7th Generation powder and Method cubes thus far.

Any other suggestions, anyone?

Gretchen

PurpleButterfly
04-06-2005, 10:01 AM
For store bought: Ecover tabs (http://store.yahoo.com/truefoods/60346.html)! :tu

Homemade to try:
1/2 cup baking Soda
1/4 cup washing soda
1/2 cup Borax
2 TBS. dishwasher powder (any brand)
Mix all ingredients in a clean glass jar (mayo jar is ideal), use as much as you'd normally use of regular powered detergent. If you add plain vinegar in the rinse-dispenser you'll get a great super-clean shine on your glasses!

Mothering by Heart
04-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Have you tried the homemade Kym?

PurpleButterfly
04-06-2005, 04:12 PM
Not with the washing soda in it - going to this week, tho! I'll report back to let you know how it works! I used to make one similar w/out the washing soda and it worked fairly well, but we had an old and really cheap d/w at that time, that nothing worked great in.

Lyn
04-07-2005, 10:25 AM
We use 7th gen and Trader Joe's powders. We haven't had a problem with caking, but I only fill the cups about 1/2 way. All of our stuff comes out clean with no prewashing. We have a 5 year old portable dishwasher from Sears. One thing that could help with the powder is to run your tap until it is very hot before starting your load. Even with a built-in washer this will get your dishes cleaner.

asher
05-17-2005, 07:07 PM
Anyone ever just use Borax? I'm having a really hard time finding washing soda :mad

Tina

PurpleButterfly
05-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Anyone ever just use Borax? I'm having a really hard time finding washing soda :mad

Me, too! :hugheart I'm using Ecover tabs right now. :tu

Mamatoto
05-17-2005, 08:45 PM
I tried the recipe but it turned out horrible in my dishwasher. :eek

I think my problem is the fact that I have hard water so I am not sure how I can get my dishes clean with the hard water. I have been using the regular stuff and opening the window but I still get spots all over my glasses. :mad

asher
05-17-2005, 09:26 PM
I think I'm going to have to just budget in the natural stuff :D

Tina

TulipMama
05-18-2005, 06:31 AM
In a pinch in the past, I'd use a tiny, tiny squirt of liquid dishwashing soap and some baking soda. It's not the most effective (but when I ran out of dishwasher detergent and couldn't buy any, it'd do the job.) You might be able to play around with and experiment with the various recipes given here. . .