PDA

View Full Version : What if I can't baby wear?

akmyilee
04-06-2005, 05:43 AM
I am going to the chriopractor today but I am afriad that she is going to tell me that I shouldn't wear Ellie. I will be so disappointed but it is killing my back. I have pinched my stiatica (sp?) again or somethign and it is very painful. I also have upper back problems. I don't know if it is because of baby wearing but I had her in the wrap for about 2 hours yesterday and then for an hour in the sling at the park and my back is killing me. :( She is a big baby, 16lbs but I don't know, do ya'll have this problem or does your back just get used to it after a while?

Embracing Grace
04-06-2005, 08:40 AM
my little guy is well over 20lbs now (at 6 months), and it does get painful to wear him in the sling. i don't mind wraps (as long as i have it over both sholders), but the sling is very hard. my upper back has been hurting for the last several days. i definitely think that good, two sholder carriers are better for heavier babies. i'm looking to buy myself an ergo! anyway, i don't really have advice - just sympathy! :)

Radosny Matka
04-06-2005, 10:44 AM
:hug I'm sorry. I hope the chiro has good news for you. My little-big guy is 15 lbs. I wore him for about 6 hours yesterday (broken up), and I had no lasting pain. Sometimes I get a kink in my side or lower back though.

akmyilee
04-06-2005, 10:56 AM
What kinda sling/wrap do you use??? I went and the siaticia is already feeling better, ofcourse I have taken ALOT of ibprophen today :eek She said that I should only use a wrap that goes over both sholders. I was having so much fun with my slings too. It probley wouldn't be too bad if only for a few minutes. Thanks :)

lenswyf
04-07-2005, 06:56 AM
I was going to suggest a wrap. I sell the Ellaroo Wrap (https://www.naturalfamilyboutique.com/shop/Products/5090.aspx?maryc). Ds was 4 when I was introduced to the wrap concept, but I wish I'd known about it -- I have sciatica as well, though slinging didn't bother mine. But I've seen the wraps in use and I think I would have liked it even more than my slings. Very versatile, and there is no weight limit (since it relies on a knot rather than a ring to support the weight).

tui_song
04-08-2005, 01:10 AM
I'm finding my ds is getting too heavy for me to carry him for long in the sling too. He's 7 months old and weighs 21 pounds (and is a very wriggly individual). I'm trying to decide between an Ergo or a wrap.

Havilah
04-08-2005, 06:49 PM
I have some back issues, too. The sling was only useful for short periods (20 minutes or so) after about 18 pounds. We love the Ergo and our cheap frame backpack :heart Two shoulder carries with a waist support make all the difference for me!

I had marginal success with a wrap carrier, but I know others who love them. It was comfy enough if I got it wrapped just right, but it was clumsy to fumble with in the parking lot (kept brushing the ground as I tried to get it on). It made me feel like a mummy, too :O

Micah
04-11-2005, 07:24 PM
I have some great links if you'd like them on how to wrap a baby for different carry's using a wrap! Also how wide and long of fabric you need to very Easily make your own! Looks awful simple even for someone who is a non-sewer.

akmyilee
04-12-2005, 04:29 AM
I have a wrap, like the one in my Avatar...........I like it and still use it. I will put the sling on for a few minutes to run into the store or something but that is about it. I would love to get the Ergo, I have seen pics of someone using it.........where do you get it? How much is it?

wuzzie
04-17-2005, 11:17 AM
The ergo is expensive, about 89 bucks. If you have more than one sling, you can put 2 on at the same time, one over each shoulder. http://www.mayawrap.com/p_mamababy.php kinda like this.

ArmsOfLove
04-17-2005, 11:23 AM
I have back problems and while it hurts to carry them, it's actually better to have two because they balance each other out ;) I have found, in the past, that back strengthening exercises are vital! I also only carry them when I'm out unless I have to do something or can carry them one at a time for a bit. Otherwise I'm laid up in pain :( And ibuprofin is a staple.

The way I look at it, it's easier to carry them in a sling than in baby chairs and those are even more painful. At home I set them down a lot more than I did my previous babies.

LauraK
04-19-2005, 03:01 PM
I have back problems as well. I am more comfortable with the mei tai and the wrap. Also, now that dd is 6 months I can carry her on my hip or on my front with her legs out of the sling and that seems a little more comfortable.

I do ibuprofin. Also do not feel bad for using a stroller. If they are happy or asleep it is OK. I will sometimes sling/nurse my little one to sleep when we are out and about and then put her down in the stroller. This gives my back a break. This type thing is easier to do with a ring sling... Also sometimes she will be happy to ride in there and look around at things and play with her toys.

Isn't it a dilemma the slings aren't always the most comfortable but they are the easiest to get the baby in and out of....I guess this is why I have so many baby carriers!

My friend told me her back did not get better until her youngest was 4! I can see that being true but I am hoping mine improves before then. Sciatica sucks...I hope yours improves.

Crystal what exercises do you do? Anything in particular?

KoalaMommy
05-11-2005, 04:34 PM
I use a moby wrap in styles that go over both shoulders. I found the moby to be the best value in a wrap style carrier. It goes over both shoulders and can be used from birth to 35lbs. I love mine!

ChristineG
05-12-2005, 06:41 PM
I think babywearing should be more than possible for you with the right carrier. I find that even a small baby can get heavy in the sling, though I still love it for its simplicity. I highly recommend checking out a mei tai type of carrier, also known as an Asian Baby Carrier. If you can sew at all, they are very easy to make and there are instructions here: http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/index.html?Baby/asian.html I have found this to be the most comfortable carrier I have ever used and I have used a lot of them. The key with any carrier is to get the baby close and as high as possible. It also really helps if the carrier goes over both shoulders, as your chiropractor said. :heart