PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Rabbit ate carnations!

cannuke
04-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Does anyone have any info on whether carnation flowers are poisonous for rabbits? My rabbit just ate a couple of buds and I can't find info anywhere. I've tried the House Rabbit Society website, but they just talk about house plants, not cut flowers!

domesticzookeeper
04-05-2005, 09:25 PM
I haven't been able to find anything online (yet), but I've posted this question for you on the rabbit forum:

http://www.rabbits-forums.com/view_topic.php?id=6513&forum_id=1

:hug I'll say a quick prayer for him.

*edit* someone just posted a reply, and if you scroll down the list on this site (http://earthhome.tripod.com/rabsafe.html), they say carnations are safe :)

cannuke
04-06-2005, 07:01 AM
Thanks Emily! I was hoping that you might be out there! :tu

I called the local emergency clinic that our bunny vet uses for after hours calls last night (yes, we have two vets, one for Carl and one for Jake!). They said to keep giving him fresh water (always!) and lots of hay and hopefully things would work through on their own. I also gave him some Petromalt last night and again this morning.

He seems to be OK this morning. He ate last night and again this morning and his cage has fresh "business" in it. I guess it's a good sign when he lunges at the food bowl in the morning, yes? :lol

It was so frustrating last night. I found a number of websites with rabbit info, but some said carnations are OK and some said they are poisonous. I was so confused. Thanks for the prayers and the links!

Again, he is a VERY NAUGHTY bunny! The flowers were in a vase on the dining room table. He's recently found that he can jump from the floor to the tabletop quite easily and nibble on whatever's up there (flowers, paper napkins, tablecloths, etc). He does eat the most amazing stuff, which keeps me worried but doesn't seem to faze him. I try, but he always wins! :laughtears

domesticzookeeper
04-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Oh, I totally know what it's like to have something like that happen. My rabbits got into the Halloween candy this past year :wow. They took a good chunk out of some Hershey's bars, and had me freaking out! First thing I did was drop to my knees and pray. Second thing I did was ask my rabbit forum buddies ;) Turns out they didn't eat enough for it to be harmful, but it was still a horrible ordeal to go through...

I've also discovered that they can get into (and onto) the places I'd least expect them. Carl sounds like he's a smart little stinker :P And of course, he's too cute to stay mad at him, right? :O

Sounds like you got some good advice from your vet, exactly what I would have suggested :cool. Isn't it crazy how we bunny parents get so excited over a little poo :think crazy people... :lol

Yeah, and I have two veterinarians too. One for the cats, and one for the bunnies :highfive. They're both over a half-hour away, but they're worth it. My bunnies will both be "officially" geriatric as of June (when Peanut turns 6), so we've got to get crackin' on getting a baseline, blood panels, all that jazz. My friends and family think I've gone off the deep end; only people who've been captured by the bunny-love understand :rolleyes :tu

cannuke
04-07-2005, 07:25 AM
I hear you! The bunny vet is well over half an hour away (like yours), but thankfully Jake's doc is in town.

Thanks for the link to the rabbit forum. I think I may just sign up over there. He does things like this from time to time and it's good to have a resource!

You're also right about him being cute! We've done way more for him that a lot of our friends have done for their pets! I went away on a business trip once and he stopped eating, who knows why :shrug. My wonderful DH got some of that yucky rabbit emergency pablum from the vet and fed it to him by syringe (by himself, I might add) every two hours all night. He actually slept on the floor next to the rabbit's room (Carl lives in a closet in our mud room, I'll have to send photos, no one believes us!). Carl is actually our first "baby" and we're quite attached to him.

So bunnies like chocolate... hmmm, better watch out for that!

I also understand the bunny love thing! :heart :heart :heart