PDA

View Full Version : Diaper Rash - Please, please help!

inesperada
04-05-2005, 03:29 PM
My ds got a nasty diaper rash about a week ago. It started as a couple pimple-sized bumps, then it spread to about 15 similar bumps, the one turned into a dime-sized blister filled with fluid. The day the blister showed up, ds got a stomach virus and has had horrible diarrhea. The bumps have gone away, but now he has a scald-like rash. The skin has peeled away into open sores in a couple places. :cry :cry :blush We have tried several different rash creams, switched to wiping with plain water, and tried cornstarch. My main question is: Should we take him to see the Ped? I'm worried because they are open sores now. Also, we're leaving town on Saturday, so I want it to be clearing up before then. What should I do? :shrug

Irene
04-05-2005, 03:39 PM
okay you think he has celiacs? it totally sounds like it to me, but Im not super familiar with it :/ I would definitly be taking him in. My dd had something like that when she was little and it went on and on and on and I took him in and they did nothing but say use more rash cream :mad :banghead um um um Im trying to think... I cant. it does sound really horrid and I would be seeing a doctor about it... hopefully some more moms will have better answers! hope it heals up soon! :cry :cry

inesperada
04-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Yes, I do think he has Celiac Disease, actually. Thing is, though, that I think he's been dealing with Celiac for months, and the diaper rash just showed up last week. :shrug I know the rash is related to the diarrhea (which I know is a stomach bug and not Celiac because I know where he caught it), so will it clear up after the diarrhea clears up? Or will it stick around? I'm worried, but I hate going to the ped when I think there's any chance he'll tell me there's nothing he can do. :(

milkmommy
04-05-2005, 03:54 PM
:hug Please see a doctor my DD had the exact same thing and also happend around an illiness I thought it was Yeast but it turned out to be a staph infection. The doctor gave her some antibotics (which we rarely use but I wont mess with staph) and it cleared up fast.

Deanna

cobluegirl
04-05-2005, 04:01 PM
(((HUGS))) I totally know how you feel.

Have you tried calendula cream on it? my concern with putting anything on it is that the skin sounds like it is broken and I am not sure that putting stuff on it would be a good idea. You could try Neosporin.

inesperada
04-05-2005, 04:04 PM
I haven't tried calendula cream yet. But now that the skin is open, I don't think I'll put anything on it. :shrug

cobluegirl
04-05-2005, 04:06 PM
try the neosporin

2sunshines
04-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Ouch, open sores worry me...

I know this is difficult, but the best thing is to have him air his bum out as much as possible.

Is it warm enough where you are to let him run around naked (or with only a t-shirt) for a while? If you have a nice closed in backyard, he could get all the airing that he needs and not make a mess in your house... :mrgreen The open sores especially need air to heal.

:hug Sorry that you are going through this. Please let us know how it goes...

inesperada
04-06-2005, 08:33 AM
I tried letting his bum air out once this week.....with the diarrhea, he pooped on my carpet twice in 15 minutes. :sick

cobluegirl
04-06-2005, 09:59 AM
what diapers are you using? do you have any prefolds..you can pin them on lightly and that will help air it out... no cover..and should catch the poop.

((HUGS)) I am sorry.

2sunshines
04-06-2005, 01:49 PM
That's a very good point.

Prefolds without a cover is a second-best option for airing out.

Can you go outside at all? I mean, it's not as bad when he poops on your grass as when he poops on your carpet. :lol

inesperada
04-06-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't have anything to fasten my prefolds. :blush Pedi said to use plain vaseline. It's tons better today, though.

milkmommy
04-06-2005, 02:43 PM
I don't have anything to fasten my prefolds. :blush Pedi said to use plain vaseline. It's tons better today, though.

Can you send someone to get some pins? Ummm duct tape works in a pinch :O

Deanna

2sunshines
04-07-2005, 06:29 AM
duct tape works in a pinch

:lol Very true...

Glad to hear that it's getting better.

Are the open sores pretty much healed up?

Lantern Light Mama
04-07-2005, 06:47 AM
:heartMy little boy has chronic diaper rash related to his digestive problems and he isn't a celiac. But when we went to children's Hospital they gave me a recipe for custom paste. I used it after I had tried everything from the natural paste and rememdies to the store bought. It does work though.

You just mix this until you get a nice thick consistency in even amounts.

About one drop of baby shampoo (for easy removal)
Hydrocortizone
Antibiotic Ointment
Zinc
Caldescene Protective Powder

Sometimes I will add a drop of tea tree to mine too, but not much and not all the time because it can burn delicate skin, and can make open wounds first.

The best thing we have found is to let him sit in a tub of warm water and a buttermilk bath.

Mikey has open sores often, and this usually clears it up and it heals in about one week. Also Shea Butter seems to be great for sore bottoms.

cobluegirl
04-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Simplespirit...that sounds like a good idea...for when nothing else works. We have been battling one since Oct.
about the buttermilk baths..where do use for the buttermilk part? How much etc...

Lantern Light Mama
04-07-2005, 02:01 PM
We just use regular old buttermilk and let him sit in the tub for awhile. If nothing else it soothes the skin.

Some other remedies I have heard of but did not work for us

A liquid antacid ( never worked on him but I hear it soothes the burn)
Acidophus made into a paste (only works if it is caused by yeast)
Cornstarch

Caldescene powder clings to the skin very well and sometimes if I use it right when a rash breaks out it stops and heals.

I hope his bum is better soon.

wuzzie
04-19-2005, 01:10 PM
I am going to be the disenter here. It sounds JUST like a yeast rash. We have had about 20 of them in the past year. Burt's Bees is the BEST thing for yeast rashes. Put a bit of GSE in some olive oil. about 5 drop per tablespoon. Take 1 or 2 tablespoons of that and mix it in a squirt bottle with 2 cups of water. Add about 5 drops of baby shampoo. When you change a diaper wet a washie with water, and then shake your concotion and squirt a bit on the washie. The olive oil is very soothing and protective. I have also added lavender oil or tto or calendula t it.

cobluegirl
04-19-2005, 09:44 PM
wuzzie....how long should that take to go away? i was just prescribed some nystatin for Josie's and not really sure I want to use it....