PDA

View Full Version : Happy, happy, happy

Abinsmom
04-05-2005, 02:25 PM
I'm so happy right now and I just have to share! Where's the 'YIPPEE' emoticon?

On Saturday, our new range was delivered. It's stainless, and the rest of our appliances are white, so the minute it was installed we were groaning over how it clashed with the microwave directly above it (we expected that). SO, DH said we could buy a new microwave, and we did that on Sunday. We saved $200 by installing it ourselves, but DH spent 6 hours doing it on Sunday (ugh!) and wouldn't you know it, by time he was done, it was actually hanging a bit lopsided, so he spent another 4 hours on it last night taking it down and pretty much installing it all over again (after being at work all day)! What a guy! I SO love him for spending all of his precious time to save us $200!

Because he spent so much time installing and reinstalling the microwave, I hadn't had a chance to use the new range. So, I made a big dinner last night using lots of pots and burners. I LOVE this range! It's a gas cooktop (I've had electric coil burners all my life) so this is very different for me, but I love it! The way the liquid looks when it boils is like water art -- it's lovely and so different! This range has two ovens, both electric -- a smaller one on top and a full-sized convection oven on the bottom (it doesn't have a storage drawer so the bottom oven goes all the way to the floor). I've used the top oven for toast (how European!) but haven't ventured to the bottom oven yet. I'm thinking about making cookies today to take the convection feature on a test drive. I can hardly wait!

AND, we replaced our microwave not because it didn't work, but just because it wasn't stainless, so I listed it on Freecycle Sunday night and a woman picked it up Monday morning! I'm so excited, because the appliance store we bought the new microwave from wanted to charge us $5 to take it to a 'recycling facility' which basically meant it was doomed for a landfill -- horrid considering it was perfectly usable and has been serving us well for 9 years! I feel so good about this!

AND, our dishwasher has been making horrible sounds for a few months now and we've decided not to repair it, just replace it when it dies. I've had my eyes on a certain brand and model that is very expensive but worth every penny. DH has always been in battle with me over it because he thinks it's too expensive. Well, he told me this weekend that he is willing to let me have the dishwasher I want, and I'm just jumping for joy inside! I can't wait! Finally, no more REALLY LOUD dishwasher in our house -- no more having to turn up the TV or move to another room with the phone while the dishwasher is running!

I can't believe new appliances can give me this much happiness but it's like having a new house! I can't believe how much difference this is making in my life!

Hope I don't sound boastful -- I'm just so happy!

Karen

Mothering by Heart
04-05-2005, 02:29 PM
:tu

That is great. Your dh sounds like mine. He wants me to have the best cooking tools we can get.
Have fun in your new kitchen :dance

Mama Calidad
04-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Awesome! :cookie

fourbygrace
04-10-2005, 09:03 PM
How great!

We have had electric ranges too until we moved into our current house three years ago. I love my gas cooktop and would never want to go back to electric either!

Have fun with your convection oven, but watch those cookies! I am still working with my convection oven and have a problem with overcooking (aka burning :lol) things still. I tend not to use the convection feature, but my husband uses it all the time.

Blessings,
Mary

mummy2boys
04-10-2005, 09:30 PM
Glad you are enjoying all your new "toys" :tu

greenemama
04-11-2005, 05:11 AM
i'm so happy for you!

pictures!!! :cup

Abinsmom
04-11-2005, 08:12 AM
Mary, I'm so glad to read your message about convection and cookies -- I'm so frustrated! I only made one batch and they burned on the bottom and were still doughy in the middle -- I ended up stuffing them down the sink! What a waste of time!

So, what's the key, do you know?

shilohmm
04-22-2005, 02:40 PM
only made one batch and they burned on the bottom and were still doughy in the middle -- I ended up stuffing them down the sink!

Don't have a convection oven, but for cookies you might try an airbake cookie pan (the kind with double bottom that holds a pocket of air). Darker cookie sheets will also cook the bottom faster than light ones will.

Sheryl

Thia
04-23-2005, 07:24 AM
Congrats on the new kitchen! Isn't it wonderful to have a home you can do what you want with? Have fun blessing your family with yummy meals and snacks with your new tools!