PDA

View Full Version : Question about Baking

TillSuper6
04-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Hi Ladies,

I am not quite ready to take the vegetarian plunge but am slowly weaning ourself off of meat products and milk and diary. I bake from scratch alot and I want to know which has a better flavor for baking soy milk, rice milk, or almond milk. I am looking to do 2/75, then 50/50, 75/25 untill we are totally weaned from animal products. Hubby may be a little resistance so I am looking for the one that is most comparable to cows milk. Thanks Ladies.

flowermama
04-05-2005, 05:05 PM
I think they all work well. In baked goods I don't think I can really tell much of a difference when eating baked food made with different types of milk, at least it's not a difference that really sticks out at me. I just eat a cookie made with any type of nut/soy/rice milk and think mmmmmmmmmmmm. :yum :lol

I like to use vanilla flavored milk with cookies and such, though, because vanilla extract is so expensive. :)

In my opinion, soy milk sold in the refridgerated section -- like Silk Soy -- tastes the closest to cow's milk... it's the richest and creamiest... yum. I've heard that rice milk is the closest tasting to breastmilk. :lol We really like almond milk... homemade is the best. :tu We usually use rice milk, though, because we already eat too much soy as it is, and almond milk is usually more expensive than rice milk.

That is really great that you are slowly weaning yourself and your family off of meat products, milk, and dairy. :heart

Punkie
04-07-2005, 09:08 AM
We use almond or rice for cooking, just depending on what I have. I've found that the almond is a bit creamier. Sometimes I make my own, and sometimes I buy almond breeze :)

If I buy regular (not vanilla) for cooking, then I've found that I far prefer to make my own vanilla and add it rather than using store bought vanilla. :) It gives the rice or almond milk the extra kick that we like :D