PDA

View Full Version : Interstitial cystitis

HopefulMom
04-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Has anyone ever been diagnosed with this? I found out yesterday that this is what is causing blood in my urine. The dr wants to put me on meds once I finish breastfeeding. I have looked this up on the internet and I don't have pain which a lot of people do. I am going to restrict my diet, but was wondering if anyone else has experience.

jengi33
04-05-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi, my best friend had this after the birth of her 2nd child last summer. It made her miserable for quite sometime. She has done a lot of herbal treatments and has changed her diet drastically to see improvement. I can check with her for sure about what specific things she changed and get back to you!

purstrength
04-05-2005, 12:54 PM
:hug I have no advice, but I :pray you heal quickly!

HopefulMom
04-05-2005, 01:08 PM
That would be great if you check with your friend. I have read some stuff on diet but would like to know what worked for her.

boonpnutsmom
04-05-2005, 02:02 PM
I was diagnosed with this several years ago. The main thing I have found that help it, dietary cahnges and I have added cranberry DAILY to my diet to help ease the spasms, sometimes there is no pain at all, other times, and this is what finally led to diagnosis, I can't move it is so painful.

Here is some information I have on it....Interstitial cystitis (IC) is a chronic inflammatory condition of the bladder that causes frequent, urgent, and painful urination and pelvic discomfort. The natural lining of the bladder (epithelium) is protected from toxins in the urine by a layer of protein called glycoaminoglycan (GAG). In IC this protective layer has broken down, allowing toxins to irritate the bladder wall. The bladder then becomes inflamed and tender and does not store urine well.

Unlike inflammation of the bladder caused by bacterial infection (cystitis), which is associated with urinary tract infections (UTI) and usually treated with antibiotics, no infectious agent has been found in IC. Though not curable, IC is treatable and most patients find some relief with treatment and lifestyle changes.

IC is a poorly understood disease with unknown causes. Although no bacteria or viruses (pathogens) have been found in the urine of IC sufferers, an unidentified infectious agent may be the cause. Others believe that IC occurs with ischemia (tissue death) or a deficiency of GAG in the epithelium. It may be an autoimmune disease, in which the immune system attacks healthy cells, perhaps following a bladder infection. Spasms of the pelvic floor muscles may also contribute to the IC symptoms. It is likely that several factors cause the condition.

Other conditions associated with IC include the following:

Asthma
Endometriosis
Food allergies
Hay fever (pollen allergy)
Incontinence
Irritable bowel syndrome
Lupus
Migraine
Rheumatoid arthritis
Sinusitis
The connection between IC and these conditions is not understood.

IC may occur following gynecological surgery. Some evidence suggests an increased risk for IC in Jews; and studies of mothers, daughters, and twins who suffer from it suggest a hereditary risk factor.
Treatment
There is no cure for IC; the goal of treatment is to relieve symptoms. Often, treatment effectiveness wanes and a replacement must be found through trial and error. Most patients who suffer from IC find relief, usually with multiple, complementary treatments.

Types of treatment include the following:

Biophysical techniques – behavioral changes, stress management, dietary changes
Medications
Surgery
Biophysical Techniques
Biophysical techniques used to control IC symptoms include bladder retraining, transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), stress reduction with biofeedback, diet modification, and exercise. Physical therapy for the pelvic floor muscles may help decrease pain and spasms. Bladder retraining is a self-help process in which patients learn to control their urge to urinate. The theory behind bladder retraining is that the bladder muscle actually weakens with frequent urination because it is not allowed to distend fully. Patients with IC experience the impulse to urinate frequently because they have pain or urgency as the bladder fills. Bladder retraining programs vary. Generally, the patient schedules times for urination (a voiding schedule) and uses a series of relaxation techniques and distractions to help keep the schedule. The interval is progressively lengthened, thus strengthening the bladder muscle. Bladder retraining may be complicated by severe pain.

Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) TENS involves the application of mild electric pulses to the body for minutes or hours a day. It is believed that the electric pulses increase blood flow to the bladder, strengthen pelvic muscles that aid in control, and trigger the release of pain-blocking hormones. TENS therapy may help with IC pain, though it may take a couple of months before any benefit is realized. A TENS device is worn outside of the body, usually near the sacral nerve.

Sacral Nerve Stimulation
The InterStim® device, used traditionally to treat bladder-control problems, is being used experimentally in preclinical trials to evaluate its effects on IC. It is implanted under the skin of the lower back, near the sacral nerve, where it delivers electrical pulses to the nerves involved in bladder function. It may help control frequency and urgency associated with IC, although the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has not approved it for IC therapy.

Stress reduction techniques, biofeedback, and exercise may reduce the occurrence of flares by strengthening the muscles of the pelvic floor. For some, exercise exacerbates symptoms by irritating an already tender bladder or sore abdomen.

Diet Many people find that eliminating acidic, spicy, and sugary foods, as well as dairy products from their diet helps to control symptoms. The Interstitial Cystitis Association (ICA) provides a list of foods that may be problematic:

Beverages — hard liquor, beer, wine, carbonated drinks, coffee, tea, cranberry juice
Carbohydrates and grains — rye and sourdough bread
Condiments — seasonings, mayonnaise, miso, soy sauce, salad dressings, vinegar
Dairy products — aged cheese, sour cream, yogurt, chocolate, milk
Fruits — apples, apricots, avocados, bananas, cantaloupes, citrus fruits, cranberries, grapes, nectarines, peaches, pineapples, plums, pomegranates, rhubarb, strawberries, fruit juices
Meats and fish — aged, canned, cured, processed, or smoked meats and fish, anchovies, caviar, chicken liver, corned beef, meats containing nitrates or nitrites (e.g., ham, bacon)
Nuts
Others substances — tobacco, caffeine, diet pills, junk food, cold and allergy medication containing ephedrine or pseudoephedrine, vitamins that contain fillers (especially aspartate), tofu
Preservatives and additives — benzol alcohol, citric acid, monosodium glutamate, aspartame (Nutrasweet®), saccharine, artificial ingredients and colors
Vegetables — favabeans, lima beans, onions, tomatoes
Most IC patients have the least amount of trouble with rice, potatoes, pasta, vegetables, and chicken. Foods from the above groups that may be tolerable include the following:

Beverages — decaffeinated and acid-free coffee and tea, certain herbal teas
Carbohydrates and grains — breads other than rye and sourdough, rice
Condiments — garlic
Dairy products — cottage cheese, white chocolate
Fruits — melon other than cantaloupe, pears
Nuts — almonds, cashews, pine nuts
Vegetables — fresh, homegrown potatoes and tomatoes
Some find that over-the-counter dietary aids such as Prelief®, which helps to make food less acidic, allow them to eat many foods that would otherwise be intolerable.

Smoking worsens symptoms for some people; symptoms improve for many after quitting.

Irene
04-05-2005, 03:49 PM
wow :eek Im so sorry :cry :pray

believer
04-05-2005, 05:07 PM
I was told I had this after I had my 3rd child - during my 2nd pregnancy I was hospitalized with pylonephritis (sp?) - a kidney infection and after having baby #3, I felt similar pain and was diagnosed with that - very painful and annoying, and was given some medication - even though I was breastfeeding - I cannot remember what it was- I think I was given a cream and a pill, (this was 3 years ago) but the pain went away after a few days and has not returned so perhaps it was a misdiagnosis or something?
I pray that you will recover quickly from it.