PDA

View Full Version : What is the best CD for your money? Cheapest? Best stores to get them at?

Lantern Light Mama
04-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Trying to research but found out there are still many brands I do not even know about!

Prefolds?
Fitted CD's?
AIO's?
Pocket Dipes?
Countours?

Covers?
Wool Covers?
Wraps?

Ok I think I covered every one I can think of! :shrug

Lady TS
04-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Cheapest dipes are hands-down Chinese Prefolds and covers. This is what I have been using primarily for my boys and what I plan to use for this bb.

I have tried fitteds and they are just not as absorbent as prefolds for my ds. Of course, they are nice to have in the diaper bag to slap on quicker when you're out and about. ;)

AIO's tend to wear out quicker because they are all one piece. With prefolds you don't have to wash the cover every time as long as there's no poop on it.

I don't have a lot of experience with pocket dipes, but they are relatively expensive. I wouldn't recommend an all-fleece pocket dipe unless you plan on changing often because they wick. I just got a Fuzzibunz and haven't tried it out yet. You can stuff them as little or as much as you want to meet your absorbency needs.

Contours didn't work well for my little breastfed babies. Prefolds held in the poop much better when folded with a "poo-pocket/angel style". With the contours, the poo would get all over in the cover.

I prefer wraps, and the ones I've tried and like the most are Proraps(cheapest) and Bummis(cuter, better fit, but tend to wick sooner than the Proraps).

Wool is great for nighttime. I need to lanolize my few wool covers, but they work great on my heavy wetter.

That's all for now! Supper is calling me!

If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask! :)

I forgot to add that there are a myriad of places to buy cloth dipes. Granitesmith on ebay has a lot of prefolds at really decent prices. They also carry Proraps and some other covers.
There are a ton of WAHM sites, but my last few orders have been from Thanksmams.com

HTH,
Tanya

akmyilee
04-06-2005, 05:18 AM
I am just starting to Cd on a strick budget to so I have been trying alot of differnt stuff. I bought this "starter pack" from Thanks Mama. It was definately the cheapest with the most selection that I could find but I am also using Walmart gerber dipes with the vinyl covers at home, most people think this is a no no but it is working ok for my preposes for now. I am also making some diapers, the fitteds, I can give you that web site too they are pretty easy but I just washed them for the first time and it took FOREVER! hth

cannuke
04-06-2005, 07:15 AM
There have been quite a few people who have said that prefolds are great. Of course, whenever I talk to someone who sells diapers, they always say that prefolds don't hold anything in! :shrug I figure, if they work, they seem to be the least expensive option going, so why not?

I think that I'd like to give them a try, but what about DH? He's still not quite sold on CD anyway. Is the cost savings worth a husband who can't/won't use them?

kris10s
04-06-2005, 07:20 AM
Best CD for the money is good prefolds (I use UBCPFs) and covers (I use Bummis SWW and SSnaps). These are workhorse diapers and I think they hold everything in terrifically. I do use Wonderoos at night and I'm glad I have the 'Roos and 2 AIOs so I can get a trimmer fit when I need to (silly clothes manufacturers, making things too tight for bubbly cloth butts!). But prefolds and covers are great for everyday use.

My husband was skeptical, but he's gotten good at snappi-ing prefolds and making sure all the diaper is tucked into the cover.

cannuke
04-06-2005, 07:24 AM
Snappis work well? I finally got to see some "live" on the weekend at the Moms and Tots Show here. They seem to be good, but I just can't believe that they don't kind of explode off the front of the diaper!

kris10s
04-06-2005, 07:32 AM
I love my snappis! DD is a crawling, cruising, motion machine and they stay put well!

Lantern Light Mama
04-06-2005, 10:18 AM
I have used a little of everything. With DS I used Gerber prefolds for a long time, but then I found out what Gerber doesn't tell you is that they have synthetic padding. And I loved Bummi's Whisper Wraps, but it seems the cost is escalating on everything at the moment.

Wool seems wonderful for the antibacterial no peepee smell property, and less washing also, but are just so amazing expensive :eek But then again you need less because they can be used longer between washes. :tu Lets says they are what 20.00 per cover and you need atleast three smalls, three mediums and 2 large to get you by. That adds up to over $60.00 unless you get lucky and find them on ebay or get the second hand or on sale.

:dohDiapering is so confusing. This time I will be starting off with a NB verses a toddler. Which makes it extra confusing.

GodisGood
04-06-2005, 10:28 AM
There have been quite a few people who have said that prefolds are great. Of course, whenever I talk to someone who sells diapers, they always say that prefolds don't hold anything in! :shrug I figure, if they work, they seem to be the least expensive option going, so why not?

I think that I'd like to give them a try, but what about DH? He's still not quite sold on CD anyway. Is the cost savings worth a husband who can't/won't use them?

Prefolds wont hold much if you have an explosive pooper. :smile Regardless of the way you fold them, they don't have the elastic to hold the poops in. You simply need to be prepared to have more covers on hand as you will change them as often as you change a poopy PF's. With my first ds we had 12 covers and that worked out well. He pooped 6+xs a day and that had me doing laundry every other day.

As far as dh is concerned...I don't dare offer any advice. :D

ArmsOfLove
04-06-2005, 10:33 AM
I am also making some diapers, the fitteds, I can give you that web site too they are pretty easy Please do :)

akmyilee
04-06-2005, 10:51 AM
http://www.diapersewing.com/fitted_with_velcro.htm This is my favoriate and I have looked at a bagillion :lol of the web pages. The problem that I found with them though, and it might be because I put too much padding in them is that they take FOREVER to dry. As in, I put them in the dryer for like 2 hours and then left them lay out over night and they are still damp, ofcourse I live in SC where the humitiy is through the roof. I have only made 2 so far and started on 4 more. They do need a cover with them, which might be common since but I didn't figure it out until dd got my dh jeans wet, he was SO pleased with this. HTH

ArmsOfLove
04-06-2005, 11:26 AM

wuzzie
04-06-2005, 01:18 PM
http://www.diapersewing.com/fitted_with_velcro.htm This is my favoriate and I have looked at a bagillion :lol of the web pages. The problem that I found with them though, and it might be because I put too much padding in them is that they take FOREVER to dry. As in, I put them in the dryer for like 2 hours and then left them lay out over night and they are still damp, ofcourse I live in SC where the humitiy is through the roof. I have only made 2 so far and started on 4 more. They do need a cover with them, which might be common since but I didn't figure it out until dd got my dh jeans wet, he was SO pleased with this. HTH

Next time sew the some of the padding inside and some outside kinda like a flap. Just strait stich is across the back of the inside layer of the dipe. What fabric are you using? It makes a difference.

akmyilee
04-06-2005, 01:45 PM
I am using flannel for the outside and old flat diapers and baby bath towels for the padding. Am I off on this?

cannuke
04-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Sorry to jump in here, but my DH had a question about this that I couldn't answer (we saw diapers like this at a recent show)

Next time sew the some of the padding inside and some outside kinda like a flap. Just strait stich is across the back of the inside layer of the dipe. What fabric are you using? It makes a difference.

Doesn't the flap get bunched up inside the diaper and become no use? We haven't actually tried this, but it seems like that might happen.